Pool water / air temperature in HA

This is an awesome solution, even if cloud only at the moment. I do see local access to the hub as coming feature in their Dev’s reddit posts. I very much like the idea of battery powered DC around the pool versus a mains based transformer - you can get pool UL/CA approved safety (where a fault is protected from shorting over to the low volt side powering pool sensors) transformers but they are pretty pricey.

Also look into Ecowitt as an alternative.

They actually have a pool temperature device as well as soil moisture and temp sensors which I also utilize. Its RF and all local. You just need their device and their gateway and you can tie it into HA nicely.

I have both Ecowitt and YoLink and utilize them for different things. In the pool I put one in the skimmer and one at the ladder as an experiment to see if the temp is different. But both of them report the same temperature so that is a good thing.

@GavinCampbell with the Ecowitt, do you leave the probe end in the skimmer box, then run the cable out to the sensor box mounted somewhere nearby ?

Any issue with the sensor cable sitting out on pool coping/tiling where it must get roasting hot during the day ?!

I presume the sensor box (WN34) is actually all-weatherproof and can sit out in direct sun/rain as well ?

You can leave the sensor box out in the open. I have one located in the skimmer (its mounted to the side and the probe is in the water) and another on the ladder (mounted on the ladder in the open and probe in the water).

I mainly did this as I wanted to see if their is a difference in temp, but surprisingly they both measure the same temperature so I’m just going to keep the skimmer one next year.