Portable rain drop sensor made with Xiaomi door sensor

LOL, cool one… I think that you cannot apply Rain-X on plastic though and the PCB might be plastic…

I suspect it will be ok as we probably won’t care about possible discolouration. There is also a plastic version of rain x or even rub some polish over it? As it happens I’ve finally picked up a case to house the xiaomi sensor and will try with rain x first.

Did you find out any solution for humidity?

Well, I’ve placed the sensor inclined so that the water falls down. It works quite well. I think with the time the sensor is a little less sensible. Now I don’t have many false positives.
Also (I don’t remember if I’ve said before), I replaced the door sensor by a Xiaomi water sensor (the one that is round with a drop in the middle). It’s farly easier to mount with it because it has two screws to do it in the back!

Thanks for your response. So, you connect each cable to each screw and …it works, dosn’t it?

It looks like quite easy to do and, more important, portable. I was asking myself about using ESP32 for it and a place to connect this ESP32 with ethernet and the sensor outside…

It’s exactly how you’ve described, two screws and each cable in one of them.
The battery should last for a year or more, mine I think is installed since more than one year and is working fine!

For those who have dew, try aluminum tape, cut into plates and glue further apart.

I think like most people here, HA has them thinking for the most complicated fixes as its what we are used to when trying to set up complex operations. My fix works, as you can see in the pic. Mount 2 SS bolts on the enclosure, wire back to the Aqara leak sensor. Rain starts, notification within 5 seconds, rain stops, same response time. The enclosure is mounted vertically on an outside wall so the rain simply runs off the ABS cover breaking the contact. We all seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel for no reason whatsoever in this case.

1 Like

This looks like another cool solution as well. I am sure that when the wheel was invented, there were multiple iterations in the building stage :wink:

My sensor has been in and working for over 10 months now, its reaction time to rain seems about right for me. Every time I hear rain hit the conservatory roof, it’s our early warning of rain, I know that the sensor will trigger within a few minutes, depending on the deluge of rain I get. I’m happy with that, as I guess, most of us who have our own designs are :grinning:

1 Like

It must be because I come from a Defence Industry as an IT Architect. I just prefer something that is simple, functioning and accurate and can me made with whats readily available but I guess we all have our own strengths, weaknesses and requirements.

Very interesting approach.
The distance between the two bolds might be too far so that only mid to heavy rain will be recognized fast enough, or am I wrong? Shorten the distance to 1cm should be better and maybe an angle of 70°? What do you think?

Hi, actually thats a good idea. I will add a further 2 contacts between the existing ones to see if I can have a sort of a light to med to heavy feedback, I think that the angle will also make a difference as you said. Your iaea makes good sence.

Anyone care to share any of their 3d printed enclosures ?

Wow - may I please trouble you to share the STL files for this great idea ?

Found it - thanks for posting !

Wondering if there is an alternative sensor whitch does not corode. Wondering how long it lasts before corosion becomes an issue?

1 Like

Just brilliant! Thanks for the idea - so far it seems it’ll work great.

I have no idea why, but I had 2 and they were unusable already after a few weeks. I had them installing in an angle as well.
Not sure if they got too much power (I didn’t use a aqara sensor but something with an esp) or because they were also in the sun a lot or something else.

Hey Guys, i purchased a raindrop module from Aliexpress and also both the aqara door and leak sensor. As soon as I connect both wires of the rain module to the leak sensor, the leak sensor shows as Leaking in the zigbee2mqtt, removing one wire clears the state in few seconds. The rain module is dry. With the door sensor, as soon as I connect just one wire from the raindrops moduel to the + terminal of the door sensor the state changes from Open to Closed in the zigbee2mqtt. Any idea what might be wrong?
Thank you

What happens if you wet the module?