Possible to make 2 bulbs look like 1bulb?

Is it possible to make 2 or more bulbs look like 1 bulb. Or make a group of bulbs get same settings for brightness and color setting? So that I don’t need to set color and brightness for each bulb.

You should be able to define a group in the appropriate yaml file (such as configuration.yaml or groups.yaml). Then, in your automations you could refer to the group as opposed to the individual bulbs.

GR_Light_slaves:
    entities:
    - switch.outletgr1_switch_10_0
    - switch.outletgr3_switch_13_0

The resulting automation:

#Turn on other switches when great room light is turned on.
- alias: 'Rule 12 Slave outlets to GreatRoom On'
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: switch.great_room_lights_switch_6_0
    to: 'on'
  action:
    service: homeassistant.turn_on
    entity_id: group.gr_light_slaves

While these are not bulbs, the same principle should apply.

Is this a bulb/lamp that is not defined in the example you wrote for group?

No. All of my lights are controlled through switches, but the concept is the same. I have also done this for zwave based outlets for christmas lights. The lights are turned off if all of the iphones have left the house (group.tracked).

Ok, I just try to understand what this do
entity_id: switch.great_room_lights_switch_6

As in your example you have have these switches:
switch.outletgr1_switch_10_0
switch.outletgr3_switch_13_0

Is it so that the “switch.great_room_lights_switch_6” should be in the group as well?

Sorry for the questions but I’m new to Hass, and I’m trying to understand how everything is connected to each other and now I have no clue what the switch_6 is doing and how it got there :slight_smile:

Just simplifying the example above for clarity (hopefully)

Group:

GR_Light_slaves:
    entities:
    - light.bulb_1
    - light.bulb_2

Automation:

#Turn on other switches when great room light is turned on.
- alias: 'Rule 12 Slave outlets to GreatRoom On'
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: switch.light_switch
    to: 'on'
  action:

Basically when switch.light_switch's state changes from off to on, turn group.gr_light_slaves (bulb 1 and 2) on

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Will this be the name for for the switch for all the bulbs/switches that I would like to control?
entity_id: switch.light_switch

Sorry, my example may be confusing things. In my case, I have a z-wave switch that HA knows the state of. So when I turn that switch on, I also want HA to turn on some other devices.

However you are turning on your bulbs today, you can use the action in your automation :=>

action:

Does that help?

Don’t get hung up on names in examples. The names of your entities will most likely be different. All of your entities will be listed in states-dev tool (located bottom left in your HA menu, icon looks like < >). In @dap35’s example his switch is an actual physical switch that he incorporated into HA.

All that said maybe it would be better to use examples based on what you have. Can you start by letting us know what devices you have in HA and how they got there? For instance, I have some light bulbs, and sensors, all pulled into HA by a Wink Hub 2.

I have 2 Philips Hue Livingcolor Bloom

light.tv_light_1
light.tv_light_2

I have a RaspBee (add on pcb to RPi 3) that emulate a Philips Hue Bridge thru a REST API.

I don’t use any groups or anything in the RaspBee. I have only paired the bulbs with RaspBee so that I can see them in Hass.

Ok. Grouping those together would follow what @dap35 showed.

name_of_group: <-- can be whatever you want, no spaces
    entities:
    - light.tv_light_1
    - light.tv_light_2

I think you have that part. So now what is it that you want to do with those lights? If you want to “switch” them on from HA and have some variables set such as brightness and color, you most likely want to create a scene.

Lights in automations are typically turned on by the state change of another entity, i.e the sun going down, a switch being turned on, motion being detected, etc

I will look into that.

What I want is to change color and brightness in one place for both bulbs at the same time, so when I change color that both get same color or brightness and that I don need to do it twice to get same color/brightness.

So I would like one slider for both bulbs and one color change for both bulbs. Not individually. Is that possible?

Looks like you already know about creating sliders. You should be able to do the same for a group of lights. Just change your entity id to your group instead of a single light.

1 Like

Thanx for your help, got it to work so that I can turn on/off and change brightness, but I can’t find out how to do when to change color (not the white temperature).

Is there any way?

Color sliders appear to be tricky. I found a thread that has some code that may work. You may have to play around with it a bit. You have to create a slider for each color, R,G,B.

Another way is to click the title of your group card. You should get a pop up “properties” window. That will have sliders for brightness and color_temp, as well as a color picker. (screenshot below for reference)

Make a group with the two light and simply press on the group name:

You can turn on/off, change the brightness and the color for the whole group. This works as long as you only put RGB lamp in your group.

Is it possible to put a group in another group/card?

Now it’s like 2 separate groups/cards, I would like to look like it’s one group.

Is it also possible to hide the bulbs in the group?
Would be nice to only be able to se the group name

Maybe try to set the two light as hidden. Haven’t try it though…

It was easy, just put the group in the other group and you’ll only see the group name and not the devices

The one called Tv Light is a group

1 Like