Power consumption monitoring per device

As I’m coming from the Homey platform, one of the things I miss in Home Assistant is the possibility of adding power consumption properties/entities per device.
As an example in Homey you can set the power consumption in Watt for a smart light bulb for when it’s off and for when it’s on.

This gives the possibility to measure energy consumption based on the status of a device and can give live feedback on energy consumption, like described here
Homey Energy - A new power feature | Homey
(4) Homey Energy: view & measure your smart home energy use - YouTube

It would be nice if

• we have the possibility of adding power settings per device (a lot of manufacturers have this information on their package)
  • HA could calculate the current consumption based on when a device is on or off, or even do some interpolation based on status for dimmable devices
  • we would be able to add all those individual devices into the energy dashboard, so we don’t have to buy smart meters anymore for devices that are already smart

It’s by no means an attempt to measure things precisely, but it could really give some more insights in energy consumption for groups of lights, fans etcetera.

It also nicely contributes to the #energychallenge :sunglasses:

This can be done using a third party integration:

It’s a lot more advanced than just on or off too. it can estimate power based on light brightness or colour too.

1 Like

That’s a nice one, didn’t know it’s exists. I’ll give it a try, thanks!

While there’s a third party component that supports this, The OP suggestion of having something built in would be great. I’m sure most of the users have smart bulbs, or TVs, or even phone apps to know if it’s on/off only, so being able to quickly populate the Energy Dashboard from that to have a first idea of power usage without buying dedicated plugs would be great.

i imagine in the Energy setup screen, on the ‘individual devices’ being able to add binary sensors and the UI asking “W when on state, W when off state” and that’s it like in OP screenshot.

Voted!

1 Like