Power detector (electricity)

I have a capilar thermostatic switch which turns on Grundfos Alpha2 circulating pump in heating circuit. I need to get info if this pump has power. Maybe it will be better to buy flow meter and measure water flow…

A word of warning - even if the pump is powered, it might be stalled, displaying two dashes on the LCD. I recently experienced this situation when the room temperature was decreasing because of the stalled pump.

Better use a flow meter or optical sensor attached to the LCD. Grundfos has a product called “ALPHA Reader” but I think it works with ALPHA3 only.

i recommend this approach

You might be better off using a Sonoff POW

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-pow-r2.html

Then flash with Tasmota, and off you go.

Is it possible for a Sonoff device to report if a current is detected/isn’t detected and how can that be done in HA?

Hi stevemann,
can you share scheme and coding how you’ve done it using nodemcu? I would like to identify current for safety critical consumers such as oven, heating table etc for alarming if it is ON without human attendance in the kitchen.

I’ve not gone any further with this idea. Instead, I was inspired by a video by Ralph Bacon.

I made some PCB’s but haven’t gotten around to building one.

Schematic:

A simple binary sensor would give a “on” or “off” indication.

1 Like