Power-up your ESP8266 and ESP32 projects: browser-based installation and configure Wi-Fi via Bluetooth LE

Great work by you guys! It is great to make this more accessible to more users. The more local control devices we create, the more of an alternative Home Assistant/ESPHome/‘wider local control ecosystem’ becomes to all the closed (but easy to use) systems out there.

Yes people can flash rogue firmwares to their ESP devices, as they can do already. It might be a bit easier now, but rogue firmware providers could provide the same options already, so eventually that would happen anyway.

Trouble is, there is no accounting for stupidity.

1 Like

Stupidity is a strong word, but definitely:

1. Knowing which device you actually have
  2. Going to, e.g., the WLED page to grab the proper pre-compiled firmware
  3. Uploading that firmware knowingly

involves more control than clicking on a button on a webpage.
I doubt I’ll personally ever take the risk…

1 Like

I’ve closed my issue.

I deleted my entire browser history, cookies, everything.

Now it works as expected. I see the pop-up allowing a choice of install method.

Yet another example of browser cache clearing not working. I tried Ctrl+F5, Ctrl+Shift+R, neither worked.

The one which works pretty well for me is to open the developer tools (with cache disabled, obviously), then Ctrl-Shift-R. All the rest (besides full flush) never works.
Still have to find a proper way for the Android app…

Let me guess. Chrome?? I find its caching getting in my way quite often.

Firefox.

I’d like to know a better way but I’m having trouble following your instructions.

Do you mean the browser inspector instead of developer tools?

Dev tools is a Home Assistant thing to me.

Also if the cache is disabled there’s no need to clear it?

In Edge:

It’s only disabled when the web developer tools are opened, not generally.

1 Like

This came at a perfect time for me! Recently got 3 WLED controllers die on me, new boards (QuinLED-ESP32 boards BTW :slight_smile: ) arrived about an hour ago and they are already up and running, ‘installed’ straight from the WLED install page :tada:, I never imagined this would become so easy to do!

1 Like

This is very cool for new adopters. Unfortunatly didnt’t work with my nodemcu (stuck on " Initializing…". Blue led start flashing, but actual firmware upload never gets past initialize). I can flash just ok with external tools

Ah ok. No use to me in Firefox.

There is an update to the dashboard in 0.19.1.

I am using -dev, but I now see four options to choose from when I press install:

1 Like

Yeah balloob mentioned on github they’re implementing a cache fix.

I find the emphasis on removing the term flashing very odd, when the page still refers to “erasing” and other technicalities (such as using Web Serial, etc.). Users are expected to still understand those things but not a fairly simple term such as flashing?

Flashing is a term very specifically used with firmware, and firmware is a class of code between hardware and software, and flashing is the process of writing the code to the kind of memory (family of memories) to such devices. How difficult is that to understand?

Nobody “erases” software from their PC (colloquially, people don’t speak like that). We uninstall software. So if you want to get rid of flashing, then also change erasing to uninstalling.

But these conventions have existed for decades. Why is it all of a sudden bothering people and is there this forcing move to change this part of the industry?

I’m not expecting an actual answer on any of this but wanted to voice my discontent. This is just weird.

PS: I’ll remain a massive supporter of ESPHome. I think it’s one of the most impressive projects I’ve ever seen. It’s brilliant.

7 Likes

Actually, I was confused and my screenshots are firefox :wink:

But yeah, you have the same in Edge

Similar in Chrome for sure.

1 Like