Powercalc - Virtual power sensors

You didn’t fill in any power value. Or did you?

No device_class of powercalc power sensors is also power. Power devices have W as unit of measurement. Not Ampere.
Also energy sensors kWh integrate power (in W) not current (in A).

Not sure why you would want this anyway?

This was easy to setup as sensor, i needed virtual current sensor for my evcc setup, i know my device power and current when its on, needed to send power and current to evcc that updates frequently. as i cant get that with helper.

Hello,

I created a sensor to estimate the power usage of my UPS using the “nominal_output_power” and “load”. The calculation works great but for a strange reason, the entity ID is named sensor.magicpi_ups_energy instead of sensor.magicpi_ups_power. Did I miss something? Thanks

# MagicPi UPS Power
- platform: powercalc
  entity_id: sensor.dummy
  name: MagicPi UPS Power
  fixed:
    power: "{{ (states('sensor.magicpi_ups_nominal_output_power') | float * states('sensor.magicpi_ups_load') | float) / 100 }}"

You should have both a sensor.magicpi_ups_energy (kWh) AND sensor.magicpi_ups_power (W)

Yes, I have the two sensors…
For a strange reason, this config generates sensors in reverse:

- platform: powercalc
  entity_id: sensor.dummy
  name: MagicPi UPS
  fixed:
    power: "{{ (states('sensor.magicpi_ups_nominal_output_power') | float * states('sensor.magicpi_ups_load') | float) / 100 }}"

Why do you think so? At least I read in your screenshout, that the Source of your energy is the power sensor and the energy sensor of your power sensor is the energy sensor.

I suppose it’s a bug of Powercalc.
Can you confirm @bramski ? Thanks

Don’t ping other users here in the community.

And again, why do you think that there is a bug? Read again, what is on you screenshot and what I have written. You are mixing the entity attribute (if the connected entity) with the entity id.

1 Like

Yes, you are right.
I get confused between the name of the sensor and the source of the sensor.

Apologies for pinging the author of this integration.

I have just release v1.14.0-beta.0 which changes the GUI of configuration options. Previously everything was on one page, which was very cluttered. I have split things up into multiple pages now, which is a nice improvement imo.

In this process I have also added some missing translations.

Looking at the state of Powercalc translations there are a lot of languages which need some love.

See Powercalc dashboard in Crowdin

Any help in getting more string translated is greatly appreciated.

Crowdin makes this process a breeze.
Also see the powercalc docs for more info.

Hi, I’m Italian. But how do I add my language?

Thanks for your interest in adding the translations for Italian. I have added that language.

Hi everyone,

Last weeks I have worked on moving the documentation to another technology and domain. Rewritten for clarity and also improved the styling.
https://docs.powercalc.nl

During that process I also decided to have a logo designed for Powercalc.

Also I revamped the library application to also have similar styling and a clean look.

I am no frontend dev so don’t be too harsh :wink: . Hope you like it.

Btw. I have also submitted the logo’s for HA so the logo’s on integration page in HA and HACS will also be updated soon.

Happy to receive any feedback.

6 Likes

Does anyone have experience with using Powercalc to measure an oven or stove?

e.g. I have the oven programs and the temperature as sensors

What is the best way to add a sonos speaker group to powercalc? Has anyone done this by any chance? I have the sonos beam, 2 sonos sls and a sub.

Is it possible to contribute a printer? I’ve manually measured my printer when idle and when printing

"data": {
    "entry": {
      "created_at": "2024-09-16T01:04:31.977954+00:00",
      "data": {
        "mode": "fixed",
        "create_energy_sensor": true,
        "create_utility_meters": false,
        "entity_id": "sensor.epson_et_3760_series",
        "standby_power": 0.0,
        "fixed": {
          "states_power": {
            "idle": 6,
            "printing": 14
          }
        },
        "ignore_unavailable_state": false,
        "energy_integration_method": "left",
        "unavailable_power": 0.0,
        "unique_id": "pc_cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-381a524b00d2_printer",
        "sensor_type": "virtual_power",
        "name": "EPSON ET-3760 Series",
        "_power_entity": "sensor.epson_et_3760_series_power",
        "_energy_entity": "sensor.epson_et_3760_series_energy"
      },
      "disabled_by": null,
      "domain": "powercalc",
      "entry_id": "01J7W5R779WMJT08X316W3CVTN",
      "minor_version": 1,
      "modified_at": "2024-09-16T01:04:31.979242+00:00",
      "options": {},
      "pref_disable_new_entities": false,
      "pref_disable_polling": false,
      "source": "user",
      "title": "EPSON ET-3760 Series",
      "unique_id": "pc_cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-381a524b00d2_printer",
      "version": 3
    }

Sure, please see this discussion where same question was asked for covers yesterday. It also contains an example how to make the model.json file. Looking forward to your PR.
I have also added support now for printers with this pull request. Will be in next release.

Hi, Awesome Project!

Quick question, is there a way of updating the group of an entity once it has already been created? I recently installed Powercalc and started configuring sensors for devices and then realized that for the energy tracking of individual devices, I would prefer to use general categories like lights, electroncis, appliances etc… However, I can’t seem to find the field in the gui once a device has been configured.

I am hesitant to configure this using YAML because I would end up with a mix of entities configured via GUI and others via YAML. Sorry if this has been configured previously, but I could not find any mention searching the threads or in the documentation.

You can click Configure on the group config entry. That allows you to add or remove members to the group.

1 Like