Powercalc - Virtual power sensors

Thanks! That would be perfect since a lot of people would be using this integration to calculate cost at the end of the day.

can you please apply the multiply factor also to the standby power usage?
seems itā€™s only working for power usage and not standby

- platform: powercalc
    entity_id: light.veranda_living
    standby_usage: 0.1
    multiply_factor: 3
    linear:
      calibrate:
        - 1 -> 0.0282352941
        - 10 -> 0.282352941
        - 50 -> 1.411764705
        - 100 -> 2.82352941
        - 255 -> 7.2

Could you not just set the standby usage to 0.3?

thatā€™s also possible, i thought initially it would take advantage of the multiply factor
would have been niceā€¦

Standby power was excluded on purpose (also see the gihtub issue).
Because it was initially developed for the use case of extended (or shortened) led strips. In this case the standby usage will stay the same.
However when using the multiply factor for other use case ā€œmultiple lightsā€, the standby usage also need to be multiplied. I will consider to add a configuration option on a per sensor level multiply_factor_include_standby, but for now you can just set standby usage to 0.3 as suggested by @Burningstone

3 Likes

Hi @bramski ,

I just cought my eye on this fantastic integration!
Happy as I was, I immediately installed it through HACS, checked my custom_components to see if itā€™s there (and it is). So I like to try it out, and filled in some basic stuff. 1 for a Hue GradiĆ«nt Lightstrip and 2 for Hue GU10 (can I also use Hue/ Home Assistant groups to create sensors by the way?). Anyway, I entered these in my config at the ā€˜sensor:ā€™ part. Restarted againā€¦but no new powercalc sensors.

This morning I tried to reinstall the integration to make sure, but still no powercalc sensors.

I donā€™t see related stuff in my log.

What could it be?

This is what Iā€™ve entered, thanks for the help!

Configuration looks fine.
Could be that you manually need to enter manufacturer and model. Also make sure the particular light model is supported. See the readme. Hue lightstrip is not supported for LUT mode yet, so that one should give an error for sure.
Could you also enable debug log for powercalc (see the readme)? And then check the log again. There must be references to powercalc in the log.

Thanks Bram. I guess I havenā€™t read this correctly.
So I can only include light models which are in the list (homeassistant-powercalc/supported_models.md at b58e7bd38624ebb3e8285d5997d6a794f46d6636 Ā· bramstroker/homeassistant-powercalc Ā· GitHub) .

I tried with a different config (lights from the supported list), added debug log and mentioned manufacturer + model in the config.

Log tells me this:

And configuration.yaml is showing these entities:

So Iā€™m guessing this is correct?

Yes, this is correct. The light models are created by myself and other users by measuring power in all different brightness settings. For a light model to be included it takes time, and also we need the hardware (light bubl) to do it.

There is a new section in github listing planned measurements.
Also you can request new models here.

Looking at your logs and screenshot you have succesfully set up the power sensors.
When there is no LUT file available you could use linear of fixed mode, please check the readme. Or wait until your light model is supported in the library.

1 Like

Many thanks for your quick feedback. I will continue adding more lights then.
I can imagine it is costing a lot of time to have all the data in the files!
Will be able to move forward now, will read the planned measurements and fill in some requests (Hue Lily Spot, Hue Gradient Lightstrip, Hue White Ambiance Spot GU10 and Hue Lightstrip Plus, if they donā€™t excist already. Great work and much appreciated!

Perfect. Just add those lights to the github topic. Some users were already busy with hue lightstrip plus, so that one will also be supported soon.

One more question please:

I entered 3 Hue Playbars (LCT024). But they give 3 different results, although all 3 are OFF.
How could that be possible?

You are using the _energy sensors here, which measure over time (kWh). If you want the actual current power usage you need the _power sensors.

1 Like

Is there somewhere I should log the feature request?

I believe this is the correct place to place requests:

1 Like

In fact I already developed this feature see this Pull Request. Will be merged and released somewhere in the next days. Keep an eye on it.

1 Like

This feature (creating utility meters) has been released in the latest beta version. v0.5.0-beta.3.
This will be the latest beta before releasing v0.5.0 which contains a lot of new features and improvements.

Hi @bramski,
thanks for this integration - so far I really enjoying it.

But I have a strange effect with a certain type of LSC ceiling light. As you can see it uses max. 20W
After a restart of HA or when switched on after they have been have been off for a while, they start showing 77,19 W. After they are dimmed and set back to 100%, the power value shows 20W. From here I can switch them off/on and they stay a couple of minutes at 20W.

Configuration:

- platform: powercalc
  entity_id: light.bf3404271ee61a66434e4i
  linear:
    min_power: 0.5
    max_power: 20

output from developer, when it shows 77,19W (when it shows 20W brightness is 255):

min_mireds: 153
max_mireds: 370
supported_color_modes:
  - color_temp
color_mode: color_temp
brightness: 1000
color_temp: 133
friendly_name: Dressing
supported_features: 3

Thanks.

Presumably your brightness level is the problem here? Actually, a lamp in Homeassistant should not have a higher brightness than 255 which is the same as 100%.

Yes, it seems so
I forgot to mention that those are tuya lights and I wonder if its the lights or the tuya integration who sets / reads the value wrong.