Presence detection using mobile phone's reported wifi connection name?

Thank you all for your responses! Using tips from both Burningstone and Coolie1101, I managed to create a presence detector. Or, well… Reveal at the bottom :stuck_out_tongue:

First, I created a binary sensor:

- platform: template
  sensors:
    ...
    bebo_in_da_house:
      value_template: >-
        {{ is_state('sensor.bebos_mobile_wifi_connection', 'da_house') }}
      friendly_name: "Bebo in da house" 

and restarted to verify that it appeared in the GUI.

Second, I cloned the https://github.com/pnbruckner/ha-composite-tracker repo, and symlinked the composite folder to the custom_components/composite - basically, like this:

cd /var/lib/hass/
install -d src custom_components
git clone https://github.com/pnbruckner/ha-composite-tracker.git src/ha-composite-tracker
cd custom_components
ln -s ../src/ha-composite-tracker/custom_components/composite
cd -

Third, I added this device tracker to my device trackers in configuration.yaml:

device_tracker:
  ...
  - platform: composite
    name: bebo_in_da_house 
    time_as: device_or_local
    entity_id: binary_sensor.bebo_in_da_house

and restarted for good measure.

Fourth, I made sure that the device was tracked in known_devices.yaml:

bebo_in_da_house:
  icon:
  mac:
  name: Bebo in da house
  picture:
  track: true

…and now I could use it for presence detection.

But, I forgot about timeouts. When I leave home, the mobile app can’t update the wifi connection - of course, and I knew that. What I missed is that there seems to be no timeout on the value, so the phone always looks connected. So back to the drawing board… Crap.