Presence via device tracker ping don't add a nor remove 'hosts'

Presence via device tracker don’t add a nor remove ‘hosts’

device_tracker:
  - platform: ping
    hosts:
      Tobe: 192.168.2.206
      Fabian: 192.168.2.61
      Linda: 192.168.2.134

Firstly I use this because I want to turn of light when no-one is home, but I don’t like to be bigbrothered so I don’t want to use cloud services.
It works, but not I have some basic problems.
When I first tried, I just copied the text from

It worked but I got an entity called hostone, I have now removed it from my configuration.yaml. Still it is an entity in HA.

I changed to the IP of my phone and set a static IP in the router to the phone, that worked. I then entered my sons phone ’ Fabian’ It didn’t work, I tried different ways of how to enter it in to configuration.yaml with restarts and reboots. it didn’t work. Still some how without changing the configuration.yaml, after a number of restarts and reboots it worked. Still I just can’t get my wifes phone (Linda) in to it, regardsless how many times I restart and reboot. The original ‘hostone’ will just not disapear.

Any suggestions?

BR
Tobe

I’ve found that the nmap tracker for WiFi and monitor for Bluetooth are an ideal combination.

I also turned to NMAP. I didn’t understand how ICMP can assign a different tracker for each family member.

Exactly the way he listed it, though it might be the use of capitals that’s the problem…

Hi,

The problem in at least half solved.When I configered my wifes phone she was not at home. After she came home and I rebooted the system, everthing works, her entity popped up and I can use it in my automations. I still have the entity device_tracker.hostone, but I can live with this. I looked in to NMAP. looks like more or less the same thing but on pi level. I’m new at HA so I’m learning basic things. I’ve loaded Hassbian on a Pi 2b. With the small things I’ve done so far, It is fine. realizing I have to put more power in to it later. But I have a very basic problem. I can’t log in to the raspberry, not even when connected directly to it with a screen and keyboard. user id: pi Password:raspberry. But I guess this is another subject.

BR
Tobe

If you lost the password, just remove it :wink:

Are you running Hassbian or Hassio/HassOS?

I’m using hassbian, Home Assistant 0.96.5