Pro/Cons of hass.io on Rasberry Pi 3

You’re the one being rude disparaging FREE software that the vast majority have no issue with in a very nasty way.

2 Likes
  1. First, I would say that valid criticism of software, even if it’s free is necessary to improve the software. As a developer myself for non-free software I welcome peer review and criticism as healthy.

2. Even if the memory card is the culprit, it would be nice if the system could give us an indication of the fault. As it stands now, there’s absolutely no feedback.

Could someone shine in and let us know how to verify the integrity of the memory card from within hass.io?

I completely agree. There’s a line between this and just being nasty and slamming software/making out it’s a problem everyone has and the devs are refusing to fix it.

I’m not saying it’s perfect and can’t be improved but how about owning your own problems and showing a little gratitude?

It’s pretty amazing what volunteers have been able to accomplish with HA, no question. I’m grateful. I do invest a considerable amount of my time making the system work. I spend hours and hours chasing down issues and I have given back and contributed to the forums. With that said, there are a few things that I think could be done better. One thing that bothers me is the terrible Nest thermostat component that doesn’t work correctly with heat and cold settings. The Nest component has never worked correctly, but developers add tens of new devices it seems every week. How about getting some of the basic components correct? Not being a Python developer, am I really supposed to roll up my sleeves and debug this component in order to have a say in the matter or is it OK to voice my opinion?

It’s totally ok of course. If it doesn’t meet your needs then don’t use it. Your complaint is totally different to the complaint I was commenting on. Your attitude is also completely different :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you sure you are trying to upgrade from the hassio tan and not the overview tab? The upgrade icon on the state’s page will do nothing. When the upgrade is available for hassio it will appear in the hassio tab.

Yep, 100% sure from that tab. Additionally, the hassio homeassistant update terminal command does the exact same thing, restarts Home Assistant with no update. I reported this 2 months ago, at least 3 people on these forums have responded with the same issues, several on reddit and it has been consistently ignored.

have you tried a different SD card yet…?

Kinda sounds like a bad SD card to me too. Are you able to make updates to files on the current install or is it in a read only mode? Some SD cards will go into a read only mode when they are going bad to try and give you a chance to save you data. I’d definetely try a different SD if you haven’t already. I’ve seen recommendation about staying away from San Disk Ultra cards before.

It is not only you.

Last upgrade broke my hass.io, I am reflashing now.

I have installed HA manually using this method below

any possibility to have hass.io tab on my existing HA ?

I already told you no. Please keep it in your other thread.