Problem with self calling Automation since 2023.8.1

Hello,

I have an automation set up in my Home Assistant that turns on the light in my hallway either when there is movement registered by a motion sensor or when the door is opened. Since the motion sensor has a pretty long time to reset the motion I had to work around that by waiting for a minute and then checking if the state of the motion sensor is still “detected”. If not, I would just wait another 30 seconds and turn the light off. But If true, I would just call the automation.trigger and call the automation itself so the 1 minute timer would start again. Since the mode was restart, there was no parallel running etc. and although it was a bit janky it worked pretty well.

Until Update 2023.8.1… Now this automation just freezes and gets entirely unresponsive once called… I cannot even deactivate it or anything until I restart the whole system… Also the trace for the second run is just empty (all grayed out) and I can’t find anything related in the logs… Is there something I missed in the patch notes that killed what I was doing? Is this a bug? And most importantly: is there a way I can still have my light not turn off while there is still motion detected in my hallway?

Some help or pointers are very much appreciated…

Thanks

If it helps, this is a copy of the original automation that does not work either:

alias: Test_Bewegung_Flur
description: ""
trigger:
  - type: motion
    platform: device
    device_id: 7b5db9abbd7dd5f3475d53c5fc4dbfb6
    entity_id: ed6a21ced196d40541cf0e7a25ceed01
    domain: binary_sensor
  - type: opened
    platform: device
    device_id: c349307cc4810d0cdcb0086021ace8f0
    entity_id: f2f023bc6440a47b6131e6ae5ce1ce6c
    domain: binary_sensor
condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: 5824b540cca4fb55a9fa5f3f41e7bd0d
    entity_id: 99bda764d75840a0030ec505bae28126
    domain: light
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 1
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 0
  - if:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_flur_2_occupancy
        state: "on"
    then:
      - service: automation.trigger
        data:
          skip_condition: true
        target:
          entity_id: automation.test_bewegung_flur
    else:
      - wait_for_trigger: []
        timeout:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 0
          seconds: 30
          milliseconds: 0
      - type: turn_off
        device_id: 5824b540cca4fb55a9fa5f3f41e7bd0d
        entity_id: 99bda764d75840a0030ec505bae28126
        domain: light
mode: restart
1 Like

The current evidence suggests it is a bug. It’s discussed here:

It has been reported as an Issue (more than once) in Home Assistant’s GitHub Core repository. Unfortunately, the evidence that’s been provided in the reported Issues varies in quality and details.

2 Likes

@EmPnK, would you please let us know which integrations are affected by the self-automation.trigger? For me, it is deCONZ. However, I am not convinced the bug lies with deCONZ itself but rather in the way Home Assistant core starts automations.

I mentioned my concerns here: