Professional/Commercial Use?

It would be interesting to know which “large scale commercial software automation systems” you work with.

Logistics and warehousing automation, not home automation.

1 Like

True, HA does not have sophisticated ACL support as it has been designed to address a certain market segment. However, there are several ways to implement ACL style control, the drawback being an expert user can bypass them and there is no auditing.

Additionally someone can add robust ACL style control using python, but this kind of sophistication is not required even in building automation.

You then disconnect yourself with homeassistant core and risk any changes to the homeassistant core breaking your mods.

A lot of unhappy customers and update breaks their system.

You’d be almost better using your own UI with the homeassistant api

2 Likes

I do not think you have enough experience with HA. I run hundreds of instances and have never experienced an issue. The posts you read are from mostly inexperienced users who do not understand the technology ecosystem well, so they break things (HA requires a robust underpinning infrastructure to operate flawlessly like hardware, networking, IoT protocols, security, etc)

As your premise is commercial systems, surely you have the skill and finance to maintain an ACL in python running in HA. If not, and assuming ACL is important, you are better off using something else made for a non-technical audience.

It would be interesting to know which logistics automation system you are using and if that system connects to ERP systems, which would be something else you will have to address if you were to use HA for logistics automation.

All I am saying in commercial systems you have to deal with infrastructure and technologies which are not under your control and therefore you need to have the skill to connect the disparate systems together.

1 Like

Well apparently you know it all already…

My comments are from using and developing under homeassistant for over 6 years now, not from reading anyone’s posts.

Don’t need to use homeassistant in my line of work, we write all our own software.

I mention it, because there are a lot of similarities between commercial automation systems and home assistant. We deploy our systems all over the world connecting to thousands of peripherals.

ACLs and logging are critical for supportability.

We are talking cross purposes, you are talking from a small scale integrator, your approach is supportable with a small number of clients, but when you get into the realms of 1000s of clients, it’s unsupportable.

But hey what do I know…

1 Like

You are talking grid-scale, in an apples to oranges comparison. HA was not created to support grid-scale environments, but it can commercially be deployed across sites supporting hundreds and with careful implementation thousands of devices.

Will leave it at that.

My friend is an integrator of smart home systems for large businesses. One day he called me and showed me case where automation didn’t work. I started looking at the HA logs but there were no problems in the logs. Then he decided to reboot HA. And everything now worked. I’m used to see all the errors in the adb console. These are all problems of an interpreted language like python. When ha will be compiled system, there would definitely be a stacktrace indicating an error. So, please change programming language.

You have already flogged this horse to death, and were told to stop. Please do.

Or simply fork, perhaps you can get it to run in fortran or cobol.

1 Like

Well, if they don’t want to change the programming language, they can make a triple core. Those. so that there is a special option when all animations are processed 3 times, and then the system itself detects breakdowns. Based on majority. We need some kind of cluster management system like zookeeper. Now we need the same reliability as in aircraft systems. To use HA in plane and in starship, as main system.

Just damn well stop.

3 Likes

Now, lack of multiroom fixed https://music-assistant.io/