Project help - Standing Desk to Smart Desk

I did some testing with a multimeter and it turns out, that the wires are connected the following way:

Controller → Control Box
P → Key1
R → D-TX
T → D-RX
5 → +5V
G → G

I hooked up my logic analyzer to the holes in the controller and I get different readings if I press the buttons. The problem is that I have no idea how to properly analyze any of that data. Which settings to use in the logic analyzer software ( I use Logic 2 by saleae) and how to decode them.

Any tips/ideas on that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t use logic analysers much.

But Sigok software that I use (and presumably others) have “UART decoders” you can turn on.

See images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sigrok+uart+decoder&prmd=isvn&sxsrf=ALiCzsZIy9BGmemcLpH3R86-t1w9-V3TSw:1661113082483&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji7dm54Nj5AhXTE7cAHcH3DOYQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=393&bih=689&dpr=2.75

I would initially see if you can figure out which wire of the Rx or tx is sending height data from the controller to the handset.

There should be quite a lot of data changing on this wire, as it’s sending data to update the screen. I think it will be on the “R” pin.

1 Like

Once you’ve confirmed you’ve got UART codes, you’re into decoding stage (which again I don’t have much experience with).

You probably want to decide soon if you’re going down a Home Assistant+ ESPHome route, and get ready for that.

You can also start decoding messages with the ESPHome UART debugger.

And then I’d also start a thread on the ESPHome Discord and cross your fingers that @ssieb might help you out. Refer to Desky and this thread etc.
That’s where the real guru’s are active;) There will be a lot of experience over there with decoding and also the next step after that, which could be building a custom component.

I can help you a bit over there over too.

1 Like

Decode UART

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Mahko_Mahko! I will have a look into that :blush:

1 Like

This guy seems to have the same desk.

I don’t seem to have access to that discord channel. Is it on the esphome discord?

Edit: Nevermind, I joined the discord. Thanks for mentioning me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got the sigrok pulseview software working. My main problem is knowing which parts of the data are corresponding with the button presses because there is a constant data flow even if no button is pressed and the LED Display is off. And I couldn’t find a timestamp function to start and stop, when I press a button :confused:

One thing that might be worth checking (and again with me not knowing much about these things) is if your analyser needs to be grounded properly.

I know I had lots of noise coming through when I was reading data on my esp32 without correct grounding.

1 Like

There are two kinds of these splitters and unfortunately, they look identical and they are often not described correctly. I was looking for this kind that lets you run 2 100Mb connections over a single wire, but once I instead received the kind that duplicates all wires on both sides. So they do exist if you can find them.

1 Like

Any luck in connecting this desk to Home Assistant? I have the same desk controller and would love to integrate it in Home Assistant

1 Like

Any updates here ? I have the same desk controller!

Hey everyone, thanks for your interest! Unfortunately, I couldn‘t figure out the wiring of the desk and I don‘t have the time to investigate any further.

You‘re best bet is to probably join the ESPHome Discord and ask around for help. There‘s a lot of smart people there that could potentially help you out.

Best of luck!

& let me know, if you were able to figure it out. :slight_smile:

I was able to capture UART data with ESPHome, but don’t know how to decode/use it. Maybe @ssieb can help if I share the captured UART data ?

Thanks!!

Possibly. Create a thread on the esphome Discord off-topic channel.

It seems like I also do have the same Controller. Could some provide a pin diagram so I can also connect it up to a ESP8266?

Have you gotten anywhere with this?

A key reason why you didn’t get much luck with the RJ45 splitter is because this desk’s controller actually uses RJ50 - note how there’s 10 pins in the RJ connector (and 10 labeled pins on the board too!).

For some reason your motor controller also seems to have a B and a D UART channel (B-TX, B-RX, and D-RX and D-TX). Key 1 and Key 2 most likely connect to direct keys on the control panel (e.g. Memory button).

I’m in a similar conundrum, my desk uses a JSM-2.1-0.3W motor controller, which also employs an RJ50 jack instead of RJ45. I’ve only pulled the hand controller apart as of now, but it only shows a handful of pins (with the weirdest colour assignments, black and white are RX/TX, blue is ground, green is 5V, and there’s also a U_G and a DC pin, latter I think has the full 24/36V rail exposed from the motor controller, but I’ll have to take that apart to confirm it).

1 Like

@fonix232 Did you manage to get more info from the board or even make it work with ESPHOME?

Check out the Desktronic thread - it’s the same controller, and you can get it to work “okay”, albeit in a proxy mode, which is a bit janky.

I’m still working on trying to get the secondary UART working, which is used by e.g. the official (but unavailable for purchase) BT dongle.

Thanks for the reply @fonix232, I’ll try to check the whole topic to verify the wiring.