Propane reader project by Steve Murch

See this great project by Steve Murch.

I put together a prototype and it seems to work.

See his post for more info.

1 Like

That’s a pretty cool project for tinkering with ESP, but you can get a Mopeka bluetooth tank sensor for $59.99 - it’s what I use on my RV and it can handle much larger tanks as well and it works well with HA.

I looked at the mopeka, but I have a buried propane tank and the mopeka only works on above ground tanks.

TankUtility makes a great device, but it requires a subscription and won’t integrate with home assistant.

1 Like

I may have missed it somewhere but how does the gauge attach to the propane tank to read the level?

How does that integrate to HA?

There’s a Mopeka add-on for HA that reads the bluetooth packets. I have two Mopekas in my RV and use HA in my RV as well and it works really well.

1 Like

I’m assuming if there is an add-on it must have an underlying Docker image that can be used. I’ll check it out.

Thanks

The propane gauge is on top of the tank. The gauge is called an R3D. There is place for a sensor on the gauge. Go look a the install video for TankUtility product and it will become clear.

Ok, so this doesn’t work with portable propane tanks…at least as far I can see.

It looks like it has a ESPHome config that will work with it.

They are a bit pricey tho. I would need 4 of them (two for home and two for the RV) so that’s $240. :thinking:

I’ve been using a DIY load cell scale for my two home tanks but they are pretty unreliable due to temperature fluctuations that I haven’t been able to figure out how to compensate for.

My RV has two 30lb portable tanks on it, I’ve also had it on my 5lb tanks too.

Also, I posted how I have my RV set up on here last summer, I’ll update it as I do more, but it might be interesting for you (or not, who knows…).

1 Like