PSA: Zwavejs2mqtt has been renamed to Z-Wave JS UI

As I previously said, that guide is for zwave2mqtt, which is based on the legacy OZW driver. It has nothing to do with the zwavejs2mqtt to zwave-js-ui project name change.

For a container install, all you have to do is change the image name. Literally, that’s it. If you want to change your container and service names too, go for it, but it’s not necessary. Just don’t touch the volumes.

If you are running zwave-js-ui yourself, I would recommend you read the release notes when you upgrade, in fact I think you have a responsibility to do so. The release notes for the release where the name change occurred describes all the breaking parts. https://github.com/zwave-js/zwave-js-ui/releases/tag/v8.0.0

1 Like

There. I’ve made all the changes you need to make. You’re done. Stop the old, change this, bring it back up.

1 Like

Allright, thanks to @freshcoast and @blhoward2 for the help, it’s really appreciated!

Based on the input above, I ran the following 3 commands on the machine running the container and everything came back up with no drama.

docker-compose down
sed -i 's/zwavejs2mqtt/zwave-js-ui/g' docker-compose.yml
docker-compose up
2 Likes

Need help with switching to Z-Wave JS UI
This name change and the update of the instructions for “How do I switch between the Official Z-Wave JS add-on and the Z-Wave JS UI add-on?” at Z-Wave - Home Assistant" inspired me once again try to switch to the Z-Wave JS UI add-on so that I can use its control panel to set device associations and parameters. (I want to use a Leviton VRCZ4 4-button controller to switch my kitchen sink boiler with a hidden appliance module and turn off a pilot LED on a bedroom light switch.) Unfortunately, I got stuck at the same point as last spring and lost some custom device and entity names in the process.

It was easy enough to complete first 2 of the 6 steps given but in Step 3 I never could find a place to enter the path to my Z-Wave controller or my network security keys. There were no blanks on the Z-Wave JS UI configuration tab to enter anything. Its log indicated that it had not found a Z-Wave driver: “WARN Z-WAVE: Z-Wave driver not inited, no port configured”

Proceeding to Step 4, using URL ws://a0d7b954-zwavejs2mqtt:3000 gave the error “Failed to connect”. Using the value from my current installation of ws://core-zwave-js:3000 does connect, but this is probably the wrong Z-Wave server. Has this URL changed with the name change?
With these problems, I did not proceed to Steps 5 and 6. Removing the Z-Wave JS UI add-on and following the procedure again only dug a deeper hole, leaving me with two Z-Wave JS integration instances and some mising device and entitiy names, all of which I finally fixed.

I must be missing something that is obvious to most other users. Are some restarts of HA or reboots of my computer required between some of these steps? Is the Z-Wave JS server URL different for each installation? Am I not finding the add-on’s proper configuration page? Help.

You’re missing all of the configuration within zwave-js-ui. You need to switch over to its UI, go to the gear icon for settings, and set it up. You need to define your stick address, put in your security keys, and turn on the websocket server, at minimum.

Look under minimum settings:
https://zwave-js.github.io/zwave-js-ui/#/getting-started/quick-start

The add-on also has its own documentation, which has the necessary configuration instructions you’re missing. The docs are available directly from the the add-on page, in the Documentation tab.

How did you resolve this? I am in the same situation, and both of these answers assume that I have an “Open WEB UI” button that appears that I can click. I am stuck at a roadblock and I can find no documentation that addresses this. I feel like I am missing something obvious. If someone is able to help it would be much appreciated.

The button is on the add-on page, after you install it and it starts up.

Do you not see it? What do you see on the page?

Destroyed my setup yesterday … PS: changing the whole project name is the opposite of “avoid confusion”

1 Like

I have a 2022.6 HA installation that, as far as I know, I haven’t changed since. I did a snap installation of zwavejs2mqtt at that time. Again, no changes since - of which I’m aware. Yesterday the kernel (Ubuntu) started freezing periodically right after a zwavejs2mqtt attempt to run a mkdir command that was blocked by apparmor. After rebooting the second time, I checked various system services and it looks like I have 6 snap zwavejs services, with both zwavejs2mqtt and zwave-js-ui (each service plus two mount services each). That sounds bad to me. Can I just stop and disable the zwavejs2mqtt services? Would an upgrade to a more recent release of HA help?

I should have mentioned I have HA core running in a Python virtual environment.

So the only way I was able to see the Open Web UI link was to actually start the add-on. Once I did that, I could enter in my Keys. When I entered in the path to my Zooz stick (using the by-id name), I received:

Driver: Failed to open the serial port: Error Resource temporarily unavailable Cannot lock port (ZW0100)

I’ve shutdown the ZJS addon (but not removed it) and I think it still has the path to the by-id for the stick in there. Is that why I can’t add it to ZJSUI? I think I need this step before I can remove ZJS. Is that correct?

ETA: I have no idea what step 4 means when it says “Enter the correct address for the community add-on in the URL field in the next step.” Wut?

ETA2: I only stopped the ZJS integration, I didn’t disable it. I had to go to SETTINGS > DEVICES & SERVICES > Find ZJS and click on the 3 dots on it’s card and choose DISABLE. Once I did that, ZJSUI found my Serial device by-id and started interviewing nodes.

OK, so I figured out what adding the URL to the next step means. I followed those instructions, but I’m getting a FAILED TO CONNECT message. I’m confused because ZJSUI is running.

ETA: Figured it out. ZWave JS (without supervisor plugin checked) required the URL. I found this documentation that shows you need the docker hostname. After figuring out that I needed to add the docker hostname, which you can get from the ZWJSUI Add On, but not in the OPEN WEB UI, it’s just above that link. Then, I was able to complete the steps and now have things configured and working.