Questions related to missing a trigger and also avoiding flip-flopping from a trigger

Hi, I’m new to HA - wondered if I could ask please:

Is there a way to:

1. Deal with “missed triggers” - eg HA reboots while a humidity sensor crosses a defined threshold and so fails to execute an associated action like turning on the dehumidifier?

With (1) would I need to have a timed automation to occasionally check state, or is there a more elegant way? Would the “state” trigger handle this internally?

Many thanks -

See the last step in this post:

Perfect! Thank you very much - I see how that works :smiley:

You’re welcome!

As you can see, it typically requires redesigning the automation. The example begins with a fairly simple version (two separate automations) that evolves into a more complex consolidated version that is able to determine what should be done at startup.

FWIW, I’ve done this for all of my automations that execute at a specific time or the sun’s elevation.

1 Like

I installed Node Red and used that. It’s really nice…

But the same logic problems exist, so I implememented based off your excellent suggestions here:

Seems to work…

Every day I get more impressed with HA. It outshines some commercial software I pay for at work in terms of stability and flexibility.