Rainforest EAGLE-200 Energy Gateway - Does you have one?

I’m new to HA but have had a RF Eagle 100 for years. I just added it to my first HA install and noticed it going offline. I have my Eagle 100 connected to Wattvision but I’d love to also connect it reliably to HA. What are the steps I need to do to get it all working? I’ve reviewed all the steps over the years of posts and could use some help on the basics of what is needed for the Eagle to post to the HA.

i have that set up but it still overloads the device every few hours. i’m hoping to get it set up in a way that will keep the data online consistently. I’m thinking the NodeRed way mentioned and having it post to the HA but I’m very new to it all and barely just installed the NR add-on.

I had to disable the setting “Enable polling for updates”. Then, I setup 2 automations. 1 to trigger getting the data on an every minute interval and another automation to tell the Eagle to reboot itself every 6 hours. Doing it this way works great as long as the Eagle is rebooted often.
I also submitted this bug, but there is no activity: rainforest_eagle integration freezes up my device · Issue #56534 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I was able to get this working and am trying to set up HA entities so the data from the Eagle will be accessible. I can display them on a dashboard but to get them working in the “Energy” section of HA they won’t show up. I’ve set them up as a measurement and with the device_class of “power” based on the instructions but I still can’t get it to show up and work with the Energy dashboard. Anyone get that working?

I also noticed that when my solar is producing more than I need and sending surplus energy back to the company that it reports massive differences in power (millions of Watts of usage) vs when it is receiving power the calculations follow the API guidelines.

Do you trigger the reboot using the API calls or with a switch that you power off and back on?

It’s an API call via an Automation. I set it up as a rest_command in my configuration.yaml and I call it every 6 hours to reboot.

rest_command:
  reboot_eagle:
    url: 'https://rainforestcloud.com:9445/cgi-bin/post_manager'
    method: POST
    headers:
      Content-Type: application/xml
      Cloud-ID: xxxxx
      User: xxxxx
      Password: xxxxx
    payload: '{ <Command><Name>reboot</Name><MacId>xxxxx</MacId><Target>Eagle</Target></Command> }'
1 Like

Got it. I haven’t done any automations yet with HA but I’ll look into this. I’ll give it a try and see if I can get mine to work the same. I’m hoping to do it all locally but not sure if the API call only works on the cloud API.

I’ve tried endlessly getting it to reboot via local IP and could not find anything that works.

2 Likes

What was your automation to get data every minute? Time pattern and a call service? I’m really drawing a blank on how you did that.

alias: Eagle - refresh data
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
    minutes: /1
condition: []
action:
  - service: homeassistant.update_entity
    target:
      entity_id:
        - sensor.eagle_meter_power_demand
        - sensor.eagle_total_meter_energy_delivered
        - sensor.eagle_total_meter_energy_received
    data: {}
mode: single

Just be sure to disable automatic polling inside of the settings for the Rainforest Eagle integration inside of HA

1 Like

Rainforest Automations has officially ended cloud support for the legacy portal. Only local access is possible. This sprouts the lingering issue where the device goes unresponsive after many hours. Since I cannot call the cloud API to reboot, my data freezes.
I added a smart switch and reload the integration with mixed results so far. I may have to buy the latest device

I find the integration very unstable. However just calling a local REST endpoint (no cloud) works, and runs for much longer stretches without crashing the Eagle 200. Still, you need to reboot the device every now and then but this is much less frequent problem. (I think ultimately the Eagle SW is not well written and they probably have a memory leak somewhere.)

#
# PG&E MAIN METER POWER USAGE
# Demand = Use by the Home
# Delivered = Sent back to the Utility
#
rest:
    resource: http://192.168.1.220/cgi-bin/cgi_manager
    method: POST
    payload: '{<LocalCommand><Name>get_usage_data</Name><MacId>0xd8d5b90000005a94</MacId></LocalCommand>}'
    scan_interval: 60
    sensor:
      - name: Smart Meter Instant Demand
        value_template: '{{ value_json["demand"] | float }}'
        unit_of_measurement: 'kW'
        device_class: 'power'
        state_class: measurement
        unique_id: smart_meter_instant_demand
      - name: Smart Meter Delivered
        value_template: '{{ value_json["summation_delivered"] | float }}'
        unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
        device_class: 'energy'
        state_class: total_increasing
        unique_id: smart_meter_delivered
      - name: Smart Meter Received
        value_template: '{{ value_json["summation_received"] | float }}'
        unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
        device_class: 'energy'
        state_class: total_increasing
        unique_id: smart_meter_received
1 Like

Thanks for sharing it ! How often do you say you are rebooting the Eagle device?
I’m rebooting every 4 hours and am still using the HA Eagle integration

Oh it will work for weeks or months at a time.

1 Like

You of course need to replace the MAC in my script with your device’s MAC (written on the back of the unit.)

1 Like

Oh, I have the old Eagle 100. That may not work for me, but good to know.

The native integration seems to work fine for me, and I’ve never really rebooted my eagle.

1 Like

For some reason I now see the device crash every few days. Don’t know why, maybe it upgraded to a new firmware and something changed? To the point that I added a watchdog with a remote control switch so I can power cycle when it crashes