Raspberry pi 3 + Razberry z-wave-me GPIO daughter card

If it works with a Pi 2, it’s probably because of the new UART handling in Pi 3.

In short, set core_freq = 250 in config.txt and use ttyS0 instead of ttyAMA0.

Hi Thanks for your answer … but the subject is how to realise a Z-Wave integration on HA and permit to recognize the Razberry GPIO daughter board.

In fact, my Rasberry pi 3 is actually perfectly recognizing the Razberry GPIO daughter board. It is actually possible to make inclusion with any z-wave devices… but under the soft given with the board :slight_smile:

in the https://home-assistant.io/components/zwave/ HA is just able to use a serial to USB config wich is :

Example configuration.yaml entry

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0 (I’m not using an USB stick but a GPIO daughter board
config_path: /usr/local/share/python-openzwave/config (here I know)

Take a look at this post :==> Questions on which RPi model and Zwave stick version to purchase

Thanks your for your help.
Unfortunatly, this config does not run on my Raspberry 3… I already tried this config but may not with the good python integration tuto… who knows?

I will contact the author to go forward

If you have not disabled bluetooth, ttyAMA0 is the serial device of the onboard bluetooth adapter. Pi3 with enabled bluetooth uses ttyS0 for the GPIO serial.

Hi Bimbar.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection

You are right ! I’m going to invstigate there :slight_smile:

Yes, I know :wink: . I had to solve this because I use a GPS shield for a PPS timesource on my pi.

Did you get this to work by just switching out to ttyS0? I’ve tried this (I have a new RPi 3 I’m testing) and I get no errors in the log except for:

homeassistant.components.zwave: zwave not ready after 30 seconds, continuing anyway

Core_freq=250 in config.txt

what does Core_freq=250 do in regards to this issue?

I just added dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt to config.txt (disable bluetooth, wifi still working)

I also disabled serial console in cmdline.txt and update-rc.d lighted remove

everything seems to be working just fine.

my zwave config

zwave: usb_path: /dev/ttyAMA0 config_path: /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.0b9-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config polling_interval: 60000 customize: sensor.greenwave_powernode_6_port_energy_10: polling_intensity: 1

Only thing I’m not sure that I like about this setup is that it seems to have made wifi speed a lot slower

That’s a possibility, but it does disable bluetooth - which I don’t want to do.

So usb_path would by /dev/ttyS0 for enabled bluetooth, but ttyS0 is dependent on core_freq, and to get it to work, core_freq has to be 250 for some reason (or the sampling rate is wrong).
core_freq default seems to be 400, but I don’t care since my Pi is headless anyway.

I thought I had read somewhere that the baud rate was unstable in this case

See https://github.com/RPi-Distro/repo/issues/22
or https://frillip.com/raspberry-pi-3-uart-baud-rate-workaround/

I just removed dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt and added core_freq=250 reboot and got:

homeassistant.components.zwave: zwave not ready after 30 seconds, continuing anyway

Hi, the solution is finally logical… If the permissions of the Home Assistant directory are “root”, no troubles cause root has already dialout permissions on /dev/ttyAMA0, but…in the case you are using another user as “pi” (or “user” in my case) to start Home Assistant, you will have to set “pi” (or “user” in my case) as a dialout member on /dev/ttyAMA0 (by default, it is root).

To be able to start the serial port with HA non the next reboot, just do :

sudo usermod -a -G dialout “pi” (or the username =you are starting HA),

enter,

sudo reboot,

Then, the config below will autostart:
zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyAMA0
config_path: /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/libopenzwave-…armv7l.egg/config
polling_interval: 60000

To see the logs:
tail -f (homeassistant.logs)

Here it is!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

did you also change the port to ttyS0?

Also, they say enable_uart=1 and then doing rpi-update should work, too. Trying that right now.

EDIT: I can confirm that also works.

That was too simple :slight_smile: .

added only enable_uart=1 to config.txt and used ttyS0

still got the not ready message but it works.

Now I’m getting a message that homeassistant can not install dependency pybluez==0.22 when trying to use the bluetooth_tracker

edit:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-pip python-dev ipython

sudo apt-get install bluetooth libbluetooth-dev
sudo pip install pybluez

as expected… using bluetooth_tracker and Razberry slows the wifi to a crawl. It’s not so bad if only using Razberry and wifi though

edit:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

How on earth did you get this to work? :slight_smile: I have a Pi 3 B+ and RazBerry2 GPIO daughter board. I have tried for hours and hours, but no matter what I do, HA doesn’t start up - there is no respond to ping or any sign of “life”. Can someone please explain to me how I make this work? :slight_smile: :pray: