Raspberry Pi 3B+ or Pi 4 for Hass.io/Home Assistant?

No these are managed by the supervisor

Can you give me step by step how you did this? I run HA on a RPi 4 with 4gb of mem.

1 Like

You are thinking of ā€œHome Assistant coreā€.

On Raspbian, you can still install HassIO (now known as Home Assistant), which allows you do use add-ons. Follow these instructions about generic Linux install. This will install the HA-supervisor, which manages Addons.

Then, the only difference between HassIO in HassOS and HassIO on generic Linux is that you need to keep the hose OS updated yourself, using 2 commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

First, you have to be running Raspbian and installed HA using the above method. This cannot be done using Home Assistant OS, this needs direct access to the underlying OS.

You also need to make sure your Addons and Config folder is not too big (<2.5GB). It will most likely be bigger unless you monitor and manage recorder very carefully.

So knowing it will only apply to a very small number of people, I hadnā€™t bothered sharing this. But if you still feel itā€™s something you want to do and will do, I can write a step-by-step guide in a few days time.

No, i am running Home Assistant (i.e. Hass.io).
So no way to do what you did?

Unfortunately I donā€™t believe so.

I think the problem is you donā€™t get access to the host OS. If thereā€™s some way to get into the host OS and it has similar set of tools as a *bian Linux (/etc/fstab, systemd, crontab) then itā€™s very do-able.

Iā€™m considering this too
If I do this now and rpi allows booting from SSD in the future can I migrate over or am I going to have to start from scratch when I get my SSD? I was looking at the WD green 120gb. Very affordable on amazon and the enclosures are maybe $20

Is it just update & booting speed or also delay reduction for you automations when you eg press a lightswitch? (I donā€™t have a lot of automations or addons set up and my PI isnā€™t under constant load, almost each of my automations ends right after it fires)

How to overclock a Raspberry Pi (or setting up other hardware related basic stuff) when running HA OS?

Usually Iā€˜d go to the boot partition and change settings in config.txt, reboot, done. Not sure if itā€˜s the same on HA OS (and if it is: where the config.txt is located and I can edit it from limited SSH terminal)ā€¦ :confused:

1 Like

hi,

did you find a way for overclocking the Pi4 ?
without using an underlaying OS?

Iā€™m quite new to Home assistant, my other Piā€™s Iā€™ve overclocks with no problems.
the Pi4 for home assistant is mounted into a passive Aluminium case with I mounted temporary on the water inlet. for now the temp is dropped from 37,5 to 26,5 degrees C. with a beter temperature conductor the cooling could be even better. So I really hope there is a way to overclock

Yes for me running HASS OS itā€™s the same way like e. g. on Raspberry Pi OS (Former Raspbian): edit config.txt in boot section.

This file was a bit tricky to access, I think I managed it using Portainer. Pi running smoothly on 1.8 GHz for weeks (silicon lottery might allow further increased clock speed but no need to play that try and error game for my current system usage).

1 Like

Sorry for the forum necromancy, but @e-raser can you please tell me how you used Portainer to sudo nano /boot/config.txt? I am trying to figure that out right now and Iā€™m missing something. Never really used Docker before tbh.

Have a look at How to access config.txt in Hassio? - #25 by alex4p not sure if the Portainer way is described there in detail or at all.

Quite easy though, disable protection mode for Portainer addon and remove the ā€žhide containerā€œ setting for Home Assistant containers in Portainer settings once (know what youā€™re doing). Enter homeassistant container and look for console/bash, already on the finish line.