Raspberry Pie system crashing

So I’m away from home another week and system has crashed for 2nd time while away. Had to have neighbor go pull the plug a few days ago to reset it and here today I went to login to make sure automation is still working and no luck. It’s been pretty stable for a bit so not sure what the heck is going on. I just tried pinging through VPN and nothing. Firewall is also showing as offline. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for and where to fix the issue?

Running supervisor on Raspberry Pi4 with pi certified power supply. Using Kingston SSD.

Anything in the logs?

Not sure if this is related or coincidence - separate issue?

As mentioned, I’m away from home, can’t access remotely at all so I unfortunately can’t get into logs. After neighbor unplugged to get it started again I was just happy it was running and figured it was just a one off situation and I’d look more into it when I got home.

As has now happened twice when my neighbor reboots again I’m wondering what types of things in the log I should be looking for. I won’t be home for another week so can’t have them constantly going over to unplug, but I’m fearing it’s a hardware issue if I haven’t changed anything besides adding vacation light automations before leaving.

As to the firewall, it was just more of a confirmation that it wasn’t active and receiving DHCP from firewall.

Do you have the Home Assistant Companion App installed and configured on your phone? If yes, and you can see your HA instance, you can access the logs through the Companion App.

If you can access the logs, I would be looking for errors in the host, supervisor, core, and integration logs that might correlate to the crashes.

I look at my logs regularly, even when things are running normally, so that I can detect if something is not “normal.”

Running on 2023.6 by any chance? Had the same problem. Revert back to .5

If you mean this, it does not look like the same problem (OP did not say it freezes on restart).

1 Like

I did not mean that.

Can’t get into companion app at all, just times out connecting to server. So app not working nor connecting through local web address while on VPN. I will look through log whenever my neighbor gets a chance to reboot for me.

Back in the home land and trying to figure out whatever issues I might be having. I keep seeing this error in the Home Assistant Core Log:

Logger: homeassistant
Source: runner.py:179
First occurred: June 30, 2023 at 5:17:49 PM (137 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:35:49 AM

Error doing job: Unclosed connection

Read a post where someone mentioned the Alexa Media Player integration was causing some of their Unclosed Connection errors, I did try disabling for a little bit, but still noticed the error. Maybe I need to uninstall the integration all together to test?

Unfortunately my logs are a mess as I lost the HD in my pfSense machine Saturday, so I seem to be showing more errors than normal and I’m sure a lot was Home Assistant trying to communicate with failed internet devices.

I would look for something that correlates to the actual crash times. I’m not sure that specific error, “Error doing job: Unclosed connection”, is associated with the Alexa Media player AND also causing the crashes. I would get my pfSense sorted first then search the logs for events that happened just before the crash.

Ok, but I thought when the device crashes and I’m forced to reboot the logs reset? Maybe that’s just in the interface under Settings>System>Logs that they reset?

Nope, in your config folder is the actual home-assistant.log, home-assistant.log.1 (the last log before the restart) and home-assistant.log.fault.

I see them now in the File Editor tab. Unfortunately they both are showing only going back to 6/30 which is when I was rebooting things with pfSense HD failure. The Home Assistant failures were back further than that. I guess I’ll have to wait until the next crash to figure it out.

My guess is, that HA got something like a hickup because of the failure to connect to the outside world. My error logs are exploding, if my router needs to be restarted or isn’t working for a few minutes (not hours).

I’d see, that the backups are up-to-date and don’t delete the ones from before the crash, they might get useful. :wink: Then just wait and see, if problems come up again. Without the error present, it is kind of impossible to find the solution (or even the real problem).

So crashed again and had to force reboot. Didn’t notice it was down for about 2 hours. Looking at home-assistant.log.1 the only errors that show are:

2023-08-08 11:29:21.704 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.config] The configuration file ip_bans.yaml does not contain a dictionary
2023-08-08 11:29:21.746 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http.ban] Unable to load /config/ip_bans.yaml: The configuration file ip_bans.yaml does not contain a dictionary
2023-08-08 11:30:35.635 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.switch] Error while setting up alexa_media platform for switch
2023-08-08 11:30:35.644 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Error while setting up alexa_media platform for sensor
2023-08-08 11:30:35.653 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.alarm_control_panel] Error while setting up alexa_media platform for alarm_control_panel
2023-08-08 11:30:35.667 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.light] Error while setting up alexa_media platform for light
2023-08-08 11:30:35.676 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] Error while setting up alexa_media platform for binary_sensor
2023-08-08 11:33:39.492 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 11:35:47.454 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 11:37:55.571 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 11:46:27.448 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 12:33:47.088 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 12:37:38.700 ERROR (SyncWorker_19) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 13:28:42.169 ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 13:33:57.502 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection
2023-08-08 13:34:19.459 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Unclosed connection

The last log was about my garage door as I just left and received all my alerts that the door opened and closed, etc. That log was at 2023-08-08 13:34:57.724

Today I was going through cleaning up my Alexa filtering to remove sensors and such that show up in the app that don’t need to be there. Like segments for WLED strip lights and such.

Any of this help? Nothing strikes me super odd, but I’m no expert. Home-assistant.log.fault was empty too.