Raspberrymatic, Home Assistant and Zigbee

Hi Community,
I’m about to move in a new house which I’d like to upgrade to be “Smart”. After doing a lot of research please allow me to share my thoughts with you to be proven for plausibility:

• Change all heating thermostats to HomeMatic IP, including windows contacts
  • get a Raspi with Homematic module, install Raspberrymatic for using the Raspi as CCU
  • get 2nd Raspi (as obviously RPMatic doesn’t allow any further installation (own image)), plugin Conbee II USB for Zigbee
  • install Home Assistant and deCONZ on Raspi2
  • upgrade light switches with zigbee inline switch, to be able to control light via both switch and app
  • replace bulbs with zigbee bulbs, partly RGB, partly white
  • connect Home Assistant to IFTTT to trigger geofencing actions
  • use window contacts to both heating and alarm functions
  • install smoke alarm, use siren also for intrusion alarm
  • use aqara environmental sensors to detect temperatures and humidity to control heating accordingly
  • install IKEA Tradfri rollos to be controlled also via Home Assistant

Does it sound like a good plan or am I missing something here? As far as my research goes I shouldn’t need the original Homematic CCU or AP then and also no Hue Bridge, as Homematic will be controlled by the first Raspi and Hue by the second, right?

Thanks for any valuable advice!
Best
curzon

Hello curzon and welcome to the forum. That sounds good. With the Conbee Stick you can control the listed devices a HUE Hub and TRADFRI Hub is not necessary for the lamps. With the roller blind I’m not sure if you can control the synonymous with Conbee Stick (have no!) I would also like to buy the thermostats from Homematic IP and have read somewhere in another forum that the Raspberrymatic ist not so stable as the original Homematic IP Bridge !?!
Unfortunately, I can not say what the integration of Rasberrymatic in HA looks like.

I have the deConz module on the PI on the HA is also installed with a 2.5 A power supply and he runs without problems …

https://phoscon.de/de/raspbee

I have been using RaspberryMatic for over a year now, and I find it rock solid. I did have a CCU2 but it was very slow and you could not add any extra software such as NodeRed. The Homematic thermostats look a little cheap and the display is tiny, but they work fine. The TRVs are great.
Homematic integration with HA works well, but rebooting the CCU requires a HA reboot to reconnect. However, the CCU reliability means that this is rarely a problem.
I would advise you to use the wired version of Homematic as much as possible, if you have the opportunity to run cables during your house upgrade.
I have had less success with deCONZ as I fnd the range is very limited and devices disappear occasionally.
Personally, I avoid smart bulbs, I prefer to use smart switches & dimmers.
Have fun!

@sota
Thank you for the information !:+1:

Thanks very much for that feedback. We should get the contract for the house this week - after that I’ll start to order the components and start to set up the system - to be able to install it quickly once we’re moving in.

I’ll keep you posted!

Have fun setting up Home Assistant !!! I think you will probably still with one or the other question here in the forum report. :wink:

Hey all,
just a short update: Decided against HomeMatic, because I got a great offer for Zigbee thermostats, which I can use without a separate gateway. So at the moment I already set up the Raspi, Hass, deConz with ConBee II and a Ledvance Smart Switch to test everything. In parallel I ordered Aqara window and temperature sensors, which will be used to control the thermostats. So far no big obstacles yet - I’ll keep you posted!

I also tried to go Zigbee but it was a failure (Eurotronic valve):

I tried Homematic and so far it works exactly as I want (very easy to group with an external temperature sensor).

Hi thermostat,
actually I installed the system today and after some issues during device discovery it finally worked. The thermostats even showed up automatically in Alexa.
Controlling them works.

I also got not problem at all controlling the Eurotronic Zigbee thermostat.
What was really a pain was to control them with an external temperature sensor (the onboard temperature sensor was unuseable in my case, even if I configure an offset).