Raspbian + Docker + HassIO

Try my fork… curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/krdesigns-com/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi4

1 Like

Thank you, just working.

Why does everyone think that an announcement that it’s not SUPPORTED any more means that their install will suddenly stop working?

It means they aren’t going to WORK on that installation method any more. It means they aren’t going to SUPPORT any issues on that installation method. It doesn’t mean that your currently installed system is just going to stop working today.

2 Likes

Hi to everyone, I have been using homeassistant since last October on a raspi 4 installation (docker Hassio) which I even have replicated thanks to dd. Today I wanted to restart from scratch just to refresh my memory but after spending some hours (docker, containers, images and so on) and come to the conclusion that I only would have been able to install homeassistant (not Hassio) because the docker image for armv7-hassio-supervisor generated errors I arrived on this page and finally tried the “KingRichard fork”. It appears to install a couple of containers among which is hassio_supervisor, but there isn’t any port associated (I see it from portainer) so I cannot access to the web ui lovelace. Any help in understanding what’s going on would be appreciated.

Federico

It still be 8123

unfortunately it does not connect and from “portainer” the same port doesn’t seem to be active

The port should be 8123 and it will need time to run/download. If you need to see you could install portainer side-by-side to see the error. BTW portainer will run on port 9000

make sure your firewall did not block the port

Ok folks, I restarted from scratch and now it seems to have gone well with the link of KingRichard. I think I must have missed something during the first try. Thank you!
P.S.: let’s hope there always will be a way to install hass.io with docker in the future, I share the opinion that’s the most efficient way of handling with home assistant

According to this forum post, it seems to suggest the depreciated then reinstated Supervised install script repository is left in a broken state. So be aware.

It should be fine (I tried) to use the script in this state: supervised-installer/installer.sh at 093309e53de8a812d31339a5e2f8f373593b5835 · home-assistant/supervised-installer · GitHub

1 Like

Hey,
What is the recommended way to install HassIO in a docker container nowadays?

Is it still possible / recommended?

If I visit the official documentation, it seems that only HassOS is supported in the future?

What is HassOS exactly? A full linux image with preinstalled HassIO?

If I take a look at this block, they say that I should install HassOS in a virtual machine. Does this means that I install Raspbian + VirtualBox, an than install HassOS in my virtual box?

Thanks

You can’t install virtualbox on raspbian. Virtualbox is x86 only.

The forum got a bit extensive and hard for me to follow (I’m completely new to HassIO, don’t know Docker or Raspbian and I’m about to buy my first Raspberry Pi). I saw that Pis on SSDs have vastly superior performance over regular SDs. I’ll get a Pi 4 4gb for HA, but since it’s as powerful as my old laptop, I thought of using it as a desktop, too.

Is there a tutorial or compilation of tutorials that will allow me to install Raspbian (so I can boot from SSD and use occasionally as home desktop) and install HassIO on top of it? Maybe dual boot, docker, PiServer or something?

Then you want to do a supervised install of HA.
Raspbian is called Raspberry OS these days, and hassio is not used anymore too.

I’m sorry, I don’t know what that means… As I mentioned I’m completely new to this. Could you give me some more details?

See my edit above.

Thanks for the info! Wait, hassio is not used anymore? I just installed it in a VM earlier this week and got an official update today… Isn’t it the standard way of using HA in a Pi?

So using both together has its risks and limitations… Would a dual boot work better (keep the Raspberry OS in a SSD and the hassio in a SD and turn the later off when using the 1st)?.

The name hassio was retired beginning of the year. What was once called hassio is now called home assistant OS.

Wie lautet der korrekte Link?