Raspi 3b+ - Wifi (wlan) doesnt work, lan does

I am new in Raspberry and hassio, so please bear with me :wink:
I got a Raspberry 3b+ and installed the 64 bit hass.io (newest version) to it.
Because it was installed with the LAN-cable connected, it was able to update itself.
I have a USB-stick named “CONFIG” and with a folder named “network”.
Theres a file named “my-network” (no extension) which contains this:

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=
powersafe=0

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

I cannot make wifi work - where is my mistake ?

Thanks in advance !

On the screen output when connected via HDMI, I get the error “wifi is not ready” and “powersafe is turned off”.
I have read somewhere else that these comments are of no importance for me, especially with my problems…
But I am not sure ths is true.

Ny the way - I bought 2 Raspi’s, and they both act the same…

Try renaming the file on your USB stick file from “my-network” to “system-connections” and do not have the lan cable connected when you reboot the Pi.

Check out this you tube video. Use the file template provided here. It worked for me.

Did you follow this guide?

I don’t see any connection info like SSID and password

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=MY_SSID

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=MY_WLAN_SECRED_KEY

The comment above mine is for ResinOS, not for the new HassOS image by the way

Howdy :slight_smile: - thanks for the reply…
I have watched the video and set it up exactly as shown in it.
But when I come to the point where I should enter the address “hassio,local:8123” I get no answer, also when I enter the ip-address directly…
On the screen I see the “wlan0: Link is not ready”
Only when I connect the LAN-cable and reboot, I get an answer and can continue…
But I wanna use the wifi-connection …

I did also follow the guide mentioned above and also tried to name the network-config file on the USB-stick “system-connections” and also “my-network”.
No difference…

Ok, but did you or did you not enter wifi credentials?

Yes, I did - just deleted them in my forum-paste…

Hi,
I am experiencing the same issue. The wifi however seems to work. At least it shows up in my router.
The webside (http://hassio.local:8123) however is not reachable. When I plug in the ethernet, the webside shows.
Best

Rudeirtier,

Try entering the ip address of the Pi with colon 8123 into your search bar. For example mine looks like this 192.186.1.54:8123
This sometimes gets it working.

When you try to get the system up and running, have you checked to see if the ip address has become active on your network? You should be able to do this via your router or by using a mobile phone app such as Fing.

At the risk of insulting you, did you copy the file that was on the youtuber’s webite? AND did you edit the network details to reflect your home network? The youtuber’s file has a subnetted IP address range so it may be different to yours.

If you are seeing the ip address on your network then you have half a success, and your problem is something else. I’m not sure if 0.75.3 is entirely bug free. Last night I lost access to the web gui and it would start no matter what did. Tonight I have rebooted it and its working.

Instead of using address hassio, local:8123 trys specifying the actual IP address of the pi. with colon 8123 into your search bar. For example mine looks like this 192.186.1.54:8123
This sometimes gets it working.

Hi,
in the end this is what worked for me: During the first start of the Pi I connect it via Ethernet. Afterwards the Wifi connection works just fine.
Best

…And propably its also reachable when you use :8123…

Rudertier, do you have a raspi 3b+ like I have ?

HI. That was going to be last suggestion. When I went through this pain I originally forgot to remove the Lan cable and quickly took it out just after I had powered up the PI. I did wonder if it may make some difference.

Anyway welcome to the wifi! Good luck with your first reboot. I’d suggest you start off simple making small changes as suggested by the likes of BruH and Dr ZZZ on You tube. Always check your config file using the utility under the Configuration side bar, utility after every change and before rebooting.

Top tip 2. Get samba running as soon as possible and make copies of the Pis config directory to your PC at regular intervals. There is a snapshot utility but from what I have read in various posts it can be unreliable.

See my post below, regarding the importance of setting the channel<=10 of the SSID in your router.

1 Like