Reading a Microphone

Dear all,

I’m reading from a microphone module. In fact, I tried two different ones, one from M5stack and one very common standard module.

Now I observe an extremely low sensitivity of both devices. I changed the attenuation from auto to 11db, without any improvement.

The image below shows a plot of the M5 mic. I placed it in a silent room and then started to make continuous buzzing noise, even extremely close to the mic. As you can see in the plot, there is only a difference of 5-10 discrete ADC steps from silence to very loud.

Is this the expected behavior? I observe it for both mics, so I assume it is not a hardware defect. I saw pictures like this from here, and it looks like I even have the identical microphone module (KY-038). But this is completely different from my very noisy plot.

Thanks a lot!

I think you need an amp? Can’t expect much more than millivolts there? Are you correcting the voltage from AC to DC?

I use those mic devices as described in the initial post. Should include all preprocessing needed to fit to the ESP32…

Also tried this:
ESPhome Decibel Meter - HW-484/KY-037/KY-038 - Share your Projects! - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Still, sensitivity is an issue :frowning:

Hi, you have solved the sensitivity?