Reading Energy Data from HAN Port?

Thanks a lot for your notes here!
My two cents on the SmartMeterGateWay (some of the info gotten from the provider OB-Netz):

• connecting over HAN with user:pass works only AFTER your network electricity provider updated those in the SMGW from remote
  • my SMGW (PPC brand) has always the IP address 192.168.1.200/24 and there is no way to change it or convince it to get a different address over DHCP
  • in my case the connection is https (port 443) with authentication (user and pass) and a self-signed certificate (so you have to click the corresponding exception in your browser)
  • the SMGW fetches and records consumption values every 15 minutes ONLY
  • the recorded values are sent once a day to the electricity provider

This Trudi Manual (in German) describes how to setup an additional IP on your computer to be able to connect to the SMGW:

AFAIK, your PC/RasPi must be connected directly to the SMGW or at least to the same network switch - otherwise you need to do some bridging tricks in your network (unless your whole network has addresses like 192.168.1.xx).

After connecting the SMGW shows some internal web portal with the consumption values that it sends periodically to the provider.
The same values can be fetched by python scripts like this:

or the node-red module linked somewhere above.
If you have the user and pass, you can also install Trudi and read that data.

But those are never current consumption values! They are taken every 15 minutes and stay unchanged for 15 minutes until the next reading.
So in my case, there is no chance to actually read accurate consumption values from SMGW, like every minutes
Iā€™ll have to go back to the IR interface of the electricity meter.

1 Like

Dear all,
I am also at OB Netz, would get a PPC Smart Meter Module and I was hoping I could use the HomeWizard P1. @CM000n and @oli3000, there is no hope that this would work?

Like I said hereā€¦ :wink:

Hmm. The HomeWizard P1 Meter is advertised with compatibility in Austria, not only Norway.
Regarding technical norms, the Austrians usually copy German standards, so I am a bit surprised. Plus, it is a Dutch company.

So it is for sure that the P1 Meter follows the Norwegian standard not working in Germany? Or do we have a misunderstanding with the Pow-U (which is indeed Norwegian)?

At the time I last contacted the developer, Austria was not yet listed.
Why donā€™t you write to him? I received a response very quickly back then. There may be new information in the meantime.

Bad news. They say it would not work :frowning:

However, would you have a comment on this device?

Intelligentes Messsystem Ć¼ber Ć¼ber HAN auslesen - #25 von norden - Haustechnik - IP-Symcon Community. Please apologize, it is a German discussionā€¦

Is it worth a try with Home Assistant?

Iā€™m not in a position to tell you anything about it. I am not an expert :wink:
I think if you can spare 60ā‚¬ (690 Swedish kronor), you can definitely give it a try.
Why donā€™t you also write to the shop operator here to see if there are any experiences? According to the discussion, they seem to work at least for some people in Germany.
For my part, I have been reading the data via the SML interface with an ESP for some time now. This has worked perfectly so far, so I wonā€™t be making any more attempts via the HAN port in the near future.

Hello Robert,
Congratulations. You wrote:

Would you be so kind to give me some lessons how to proceed to fetch the data from my SMGW from PPC and to use it in Home Assistant.

My meter operator (Messstellenbetreiber) E.ON recently sent me

• User-ID
  • Password

I can read the

• Identification nĀ° on the SMGW himself
  • I suppose the IP adress of the SMGW to be 192.168.1.200

I connected the HAN port of the SMGW to a switch of my local network.

What is to do exactly to connect my Home Assistant at IP 192.168.178.16 to read the data from the SMGW with IP 192.168.1.200 ?

I am trying to get an overview of the various interfaces used on Smart Energy Meters in Europe, and stumbled over this thread about the German solution.
I have studied various very helpful documents linked in this thread, but have a question:

A Smart Meter Gateway (SMGW) is described, but from photos it does not seem to be a smart meter.

Questions

1. Does a German installation consist of two physical devices: Smart meter + SMGW?
  2. If so: Are those two physically connected by cable?
  3. If I understand correctly, the user port (ā€œHAN portā€) is on the SMGW and not on the Smart meter?

Thank you in advance,

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
    In addition, there usually is an IR-Port on the SM. I am using only this IR-Port for the HA-Integration. IF HAN would be supported and easy to integrate - next little project :wink:

From my pov this is the most common (but not the only) combination. However, each local line system operator has its own approach. In my case with an external LTE-Modem on the meter cabinet.

Thank you so much for your rapid clarification, your photo is very useful!
There is just one point still unclear to me: Will the grid company always install the SMGW when the Smart Meter is installed, or is that something the user must pay for in addition?
Apparently there is now an Ethernet port marked ā€œHANā€ on your installation where data can be read, but you have chosen to use the optical port. Can you elaborate on why?

This is (as always) very complex in Germany.
There is a rollout plan for smart meters and basically the strategy of replacing all old meters. Whether an SMGW is also installed in private / small systems depends, among other things, on whether there is feed-in and how large the solar generator is. Even when using time-variable electricity tariffs (tibber, avattar), an SMGW is always installed. However, each grid operator (maybe >30 in total) has its own strategy. This also applies to the online connection of the SMGW. LTE, WLAN, LoRaWAN, powerline etc.
I use the IR interface of the SM because I already had the hardware for it, including HA integration, and the HAN interface is not easy to read and integrate. You can actually find all the information about this in the previous posts.

1 Like

Fully understandable decision when you already had the IR system running!

To explain the background for my questions:
I represent a company that has developed and sells Smart meter reader devices in a number of countries, see https://amsleser.no. (Weā€™re mentioned earlier in this thread, @CM000n must have been in contact with me last year.)

As Germany has (finally, as one of the last in Europe) decided on general Smart Meter rollout, we want to understand whether the German market could be of interest for us - and how the technical solutions work. The general trend is that smaller countries adhere to one or more standard solutions, while the larger countries (Germany, France, Italy, UK, Spain?) establish their own interfaces and solutions.

An other trend is that Smart home systems with PV installations and car chargers have an interest in knowing the instantaneous power, current and voltage, for instance to do automatic load balancing. And the logical way to get that information is to read the user port of the Smart energy meter. The diversity of Smart meter user port interfaces in Europe is a challenge for companies developing such solutions.

2 Likes

ā€œAnd the logical way to get that information is to read the user port of the Smart energy meter.ā€

Nice to read this :wink: - after struggling two years with different meters and integrations for Kostal solar inverter, Victron battery inverter and OpenWB wallbox. But now itĀ“s running with only the Kostal Smart Energy Meter.
Looking forward for doing all this only by the SM or SMGW via HAN :wink:

1 Like

Hi all,

I recently got a PPC SMGW installed as well.

I wrote a small integration for it which you can find here: GitHub - jannickfahlbusch/ha-ppc-smgw: HomeAssistant Component to integrate PPC SMGWs

There is still a lot to do (Especially documentation) but I would be happy if you could give it a try.

During testing I broke the HAN port multiple times by apparently filling the logs with entries until the GW ran out of space after which only my energy distributor was able to reboot it. I found an interval of >15 minutes to work good enough - I still have to figure out how to have a final data refresh at the end of the hour.

Hi Jannick. That sounds interesting. Can you provide some more information? How did you connect the smart meter gateway to your home network?

The house I am living in has ethernet cables for each flat to the meters.
During the installation I simply asked the electrician to expose the ethernet port of my flat and connected the HAN port to it.

Network wise I have put the SMGW into its own VLAN. As the SMGW is not reachable outside of its own configured IP range I wrote a small reverse proxy so that I can reach it.

For my electricity distributor (Stromnetz Berlin) the default IP is 192.168.178.200. According to their support they wonā€™t change the IP or turn on DHCP for easier integration.
Apart from that the default IP coming from PPC would be 192.168.1.200

Interesting! Thx for your reply. Maybe I will take a look at it, if I find the time.

I also was ā€œgrantedā€ a Smart Meter incl. a dedicated Smart Meter Gateway (SMGW) by PPC (the one that is used by the TO) today and immediately started fiddling around with the HAN-port. The location is Germany and the username / password for HAN was set using the web portal of my network provider.

The HAN Web UI can be accessed using https://192.168.1.200/cgi-bin/hanservice.cgi using username and password. The result is HTML and communication is session based. No REST, no JSON. I think, there is a more structured variant available, as the ā€œofficialā€ Software TRUDI can read and visualize more data than exposed by the WebUI.

However, while TRUDI is Open Source, the device specific communication server seem to be closed-source.

So much for transparency ā€¦

Hi Robert,

congrats.

I got this week our Smart Meter Gateway (SMGW): Theben Smart Energy Connexa 3.0. I did not get any documentation from my energy provide yet. I found a manual online, on the website of the manufacturer here.

I will contact my provider and request the credentials. Meanwhile i would like to check, if the SMGW ist available at 192.169.1.200. I have simply changed the subnet mask in my FirtzBox from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0. Now I can access devices from and to the two subnets 192.168.0.xx and 192.168.1.xx without any restrictions (Have tested that with another device).

My question: Does your SMGW answer on a ping? Or is the ping deactivated on the device?