Real-Time-Sliders

Hi,

I recently switched from openhab to Home Assistant and thing are running pretty smooth. But I miss one thing → Real-Time-Sliders

I have several dimmers and want to react them in realtime.
Currently they only change their state, after I “take my finger from the screen”.

Am I Missing something, do I have to create a feature-request.

thanks in advance.
Max

1 Like

It would need a feature request, though it may be possible with a custom card - if so hopefully somebody else will know.

The state of the underlying entity isn’t updated until you take your finger off, which is why you’re seeing what you’re seeing.

1 Like

thanks, I created a feature-request.

Real-Time-Slider - Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes

The reason it works that way is to minimize the number of commands transmitted. Only the target value is sent and not the intermediate values.

For example, changing a light’s brightness from 5 to 95 would cause 90 brightness values to be transmitted at the speed you moved the slider. This burst of traffic can cause problems for certain communication technologies.

I see why they have made it this way but imo that can be fixed pretty easily. Add some kind of timer check and only send the command if the value has been the same for lets say 1 second, then you would not have to release the slider then tap it again you just stop sliding for a moment to see the result then continue until you hit the result you want.

Maybe this comment should be in the feature request tho :slight_smile:

Then it would not be “real-time” as you originally requested.

It’s not only the commands sent to the device but the replies from the device, acknowledging receipt of the command and reporting its updated status.

The current method sends one transmission, to change from 5 to 95, and receives one (depending on the lighting technology, there may be a few more). Your requested method would involve 90 x 2 = 180 transmissions (possibly more). Now imagine the slider controls a group of lights and you can understand why it currently works the way it does.

The Device behind my slider is a KNX-Dimactor.
As mentioned I used this feature with openhab. I can confirm, that this feature penetrate all involved systems. The logfile starts spamming a lot when you let the Slider dance.
BUT - it works perfectly. Maybe not for all systems but with KNX it’s working fine.

That’s the main limitation of your request for a “real-time” slider, it only works well with some technologies (high-speed wireless or hard-wired). A light entity’s slider has to work well with all lighting technologies so that’s why it currently only transmits the target value and not intermediate values.

Hihi! High-Speed KNX :joy:

If you review what I wrote you will see I never stated KNX is high-speed (the adjective was used for wireless).

Regardless of what one considers to be high or low speed, the concept of “real-time” sliders has impactful efficiency and performance consequences that are likely to prevent the development team from implementing it as the default mode of operation.

No harm in asking for it but odds are not in favor for its general adoption.

The Philips Hue app is much smarter than Home Assistant here.
If you drag a slider for a single light in the hue app, it updates the light in real time, many times per second for a seamless, smooth, real time feel. It’s responsive and a really pleasant experience.

If you’ve clicked on a group for the entire house however with the slider controling multiple lights, dragging the slider still gives the impression of updating in real time, but in reality it actually rate limits the updates to about once per second. It’s still convincing, as the light updates in near real time without needing to lift your finger from the button, but if you look closely the brightness transition isn’t as smooth as when updating a single light.

Even if real time sliders are only viable with certain lights/devices, it would be nice if there was an option to enable it in Home Assistant. As it is, I’m still going back to the Hue app for a few things, this being one of them.

2 Likes

Are here any news? I am kinda confused that it works with the color changes in the new light dialogue but not with the brightness.

1 Like

That’s a good point! It’s clearly possible and either unimplemented or explicitly blocked in the code. Would be rad to have this be an option

I also think that would be the best option. Then everyone can evaluate for himself.

RealTime: true/false (Default false)

2 Likes

Hi,

What about just adding a property that says max number of updates per second?

Set it to 0, you get current behavior
Set it to something else and you can tune so you do not overload the dimmer you have.