Recommendation for roller shutters

Which USB dongle for the raspberry pi do you recommend to control Fibaro devices?

I would recommend you the (quite widely used within the HASS community) Aeotec Z Stick (gen5), however there are several more that were tested by others and reliably work with home assistant here. As far as I know, most zwave usb sticks (and even some gpio modules) should be compatible with Hass. For controlling fibaro devices, anything compatible with zwave plus (plus is better - longer range etc) should work with fibaro devices.

Thanks again @TheAK !

1 Like

The Fibaro buttons don’t currently work with HA I think so beware buying any atm.

is it still broken? i am in the process to automate all my cover.

I bought 10 Fibaro Roller Shutter 2 for all my roller shutters, and it’s working perfectly.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that! Are you using them with the Z-stick?

Yes. With an Aeotec Z Stick (gen5) as you recommended me :slight_smile:

1 Like

is it possible to set a specific level? or only full open\full close?

You can set a specific level

nice to hear, the only bad side is the cost per unit…

Yes, it’s not cheap. But it works like a charm!

Thanks a lot - i will go for the same setup!

Hi Sviudes

I am testing right now Roller Shutter3 - with a somfy ILMO2 - The ilmo is plug and play and identifies by its own the up and down end.
I am struggling with calibration and I am struggling with positioning of the blind.
Can you help me how you have done it?
thilo

Hello.

Calibration is done only 1 time, and then home assistant will work with it, and it will be able to select any position you want. Is not working for you?

Hi,
Unfortunately not. It does not really confirm the calibration. My thought is that the Somfy ILMO2 motor with electronic self management of Upper and lower end does not work properly with theroller shutter 3. Any experience?
The fields timeworn down and up are filled with 2307 and 2245 but it does not stop where I want. Only open or close.
TMJ

Hi Sergio,

I’m trying to achieve the same thing as you. I just started with the HomeAsssistant and want to implement Roller shutters that I can operate via Hass.io as well as via buttons on the wall.

I read a lot on the Fibaro Shutters 3 - but I read a lot of bad reviews on the Firmware. I have two buttons per shutter on the wall - one for up one for down.

Are you still happy with the setup choosing Fibaro Roller Shutter 3 and Aeotec Z Stick?
I also checked out these from Jinvoo (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07KZL4YYC/ref=twister_B07PVHLVD5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

Nevertheless - these seem to be quite complicated to install into HASSIO.

Greetz,
phil

Hi Phil,

I’m very happy with Fibaro Roller Shutter and Aeotec Z Stick. I use 10 of them in my house (1 for each window), and it’s working perfectly. I prefer Fibaro over a WiFi switch like Jinvoo because if your WiFi is not working temporarily, or your Home Assistant setup fails for any reason, you still can use your shutters using your regular wall switch. I also have two buttons per shutter on the wall:

I don’t know what bad reviews you read, but I never had any problem. Feel free to ask me anything you need to know about them.

EDIT: My model is Fibaro Roller Shutter 2 (not 3): https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00HSICQ4U
About the 3, I read that with some firmware versions it isn’t reporting the position correctly. I think it’s the issue you have read about. So, if you don’t need z-wave plus, and you are not sure if you are getting the “good” firmware version, maybe you can go for the 2 instead of the 3, and you should not have any problems.

Hey Sergio,

thanks a lot for the quick answer. Yes this is exactly what I read - the issue with the position for Shutter Version 3. Good point taking V2 - I checked Amazon but it seems they discontinued the V2. I will buy one of the V3 and test it.

The other issue I read is that the V3 comes from factory-side by working only with one button. You have to change the Firmware settings with some special tool to make it work with two buttons like you showed in your post.

I will order v3 and let you know how it works :wink:

1 Like

Hey Sergio,

so I just received everything and want to start on the weekend with the devices.
I got the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 and the Fibaro Shutter 3 in V5.1.
V5.1 seems to be the newest Firmware without issues.

Before I start implementing just some questions.

How do you integrate the Aeotec stick in the Hass io? Is there some special tool needed or so?
After the aeotec stick is up and running I assume to unplug it from my Raspi and install the shutter with the cables in the wall plug (found this video - should be quite easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nkGLL8Iwo)

Then I use the Aeotec stick with the battery to couple stick and roller shutter - right?
Is it straight away by pressing the button on the stick?

After that I should see the roller shutter popping up in the hass io with an entity ID, right?

Just want to make sure I have everything here and understood before starting. I also need to get some more cables (I just saw in the video) as well as some of these clamps (https://www.amazon.de/Wago-Hebelverbindungsklemme-Stück-Packung-BLV221412/dp/B07176GKT1/ref=pd_sbs_21_t_1/257-0048599-7097539?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07176GKT1&pd_rd_r=c22af3cf-7245-4293-ae3b-40c4512ec898&pd_rd_w=D1I31&pd_rd_wg=Etjkm&pf_rd_p=a2f6bca6-dcb1-4822-8e28-66b64b37970e&pf_rd_r=2FAV7B9A949D69NCDT66&psc=1&refRID=2FAV7B9A949D69NCDT66) to connect the cables.

Sorry for my noop questions - you see I’m pretty bad prepared :wink: