Recommendations for Air Quality monitor?

I’m looking for an air quality monitor that would integrate (locally) with HA. Any suggestions? I have played with Inkbird (does not work).

I’d like to have something that does Radon, CO, PM2.5 and PM10. PM1 would be a nice to have.

(Yes, I have smoke and CO alarms in the house. The monitoring is just for awareness not alerting)

Hi.

Something like this will report back with 433mhz if you have a SDR you can pick that up with.

Thanks

1 Like

Just built one of these: IKEA Vindriktning Air Quality Sensor

And it’s great with Tasmota. Added a PIR motion sensor, DHT, luminance, and Co2 sensors to it. Works great.

4 Likes

It should work with the inside unit, like the GW1100, which connects to WiFi and has the official Ecowitt integration.

For compatible consoles look at this thread.

1 Like

I would be super interested in this too. Especially monitoring Radon and CO, and maybe CO2

1 Like

I have continued to do some research on this. As the number of things monitored increases (VOC, CO2, CO, PM2.5, PM10, Radon, etc…, the price goes up accordingly.

The IKEA monitor that Shep suggested is very inexpensive, but limited in what it monitors. The Ecowitt family that g-bourgeois suggested looks promising. I already have a have a USB device that monitors 433mHz, so that may work for Ecowitt as well. The Ecowitt WH45 seems to be closest to what I’m looking for. But it would require that I do some work to create my own integration. Not sure I’m smart enough to do that. :slight_smile:

More research to do as I have time. I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences here.

Awair. I have three. Pretty cheap on eBay as they were being used for a mining process which came to a halt last year.

2 Likes

I personally would not recommend this. I have now bought 2 used off of eBay, and neither one of them will consistently stay connected to WiFi. I have no other problems with any other devices, but both of these spend more time disconnected than I find reasonable. My gauges look broken, and my graphs have huge gaps in them. I’ve tried resetting them multiple times, they’re on the newest firmware, and I’ve tried everything else their site said to try.

I’d say avoid Awair, or at least avoid used ones from Crypto miners on eBay.

I bought one in new condition off of eBay and I don’t have any connection issues at all. Also I liked the fact that it has local API which sends data to HA frequently.

1 Like

Assuming both of you are talking about the GW1100, I’ve had it for 3-4 years now and it works great.

Surprisingly the sensor I’ve been using (which doesn’t have PM2.5 but I’m planning on upgrading because it would be nice to know earlier if it’s gonna be a crap day) is still running on its initial set of batteries.

I’m actually talking about the Element myself.

I might have missed it, but I don’t think anybody mentioned Airthings View Plus (which at the time of this post is on sale for $239 with free shipping). Its a bit more expensive than the Airgradient Indoor pro kit but includes a radon sensor. Does anyone have experience with this product? Building my own as described here sounds cool in a world where I have lots of spare time, but sadly I don’t live in that world and paying more for a finished product (or nearly finished product in the case of the Airgradient) is worth the cost. But before I pull the trigger on the Airthings View Plus, would love to hear other’s experience with it.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the Airthings products for Radon. I’ve had an Airthings WavePlus for years with an Airthings Hub. Solid units. I’d imagine the Airthings View Plus would do the same these days. I bought an Airthings WavePlus, then I learned my high radon levels and bought a radon mitigation system for my house. I live in CO where we have high radon levels.

When you don’t need Radon and want an easy solution, the IQAir Airvisual Indoor and Outdoor units are great and supported by smart people on HA. I have not looked recently for the outdoor unit support but I have been able to view all the data for my indoor unit and the AQI on my outdoor unit (it sync’s with the indoor unit) for a while now. Again, solid devices that are easy to get into HA.

I want to add monitoring to more rooms in the house and now looking into other options. Will report back if I find something less expensive than the above that are as easy to integrate into HA.

Holler if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Updating a thread I have already responded on, I have just got an Air Gradient outdoor monitor. It can be reflashed to use esphome and it is a great little device. Will probably get an indoor one shortly as well. Arrived with no custom duties either as it was labelled correctly.

1 Like