Recommendations for presence detection? just ditched ios

No. I got something from Amazon and Gearbest.

Can you share a link or name?

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073ZBYPG6/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1521659385&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=nut+locator&dpPl=1&dpID=41paEOJSEML&ref=plSrch

And this:

https://gearbest.com/other-survival-and-emergency-gears/pp_265710.html?wid=21

So how does that work, the little white nut talks to something (what?) stationary at your house to determine when you arrive and leave? And then you put that into ha? Using?
Thank you much

Those little devices are constantly emmiting a bluetooth signal. I have a bunch of detectors in my home that track the presence of them. Those detectors are made by https://www.happybubbles.tech. Happy bubbles also provide a sw that determines wihch of the detectors get the stronger signal. And that sw send its findings to HA via MQTT.
Not the cheapest solution, but reliable.

so you place the happy bubble devices around the house and then you carry that white nut with you all the time? Is there a reason not to use your phones bluetooth?

The nut is attached to the house keys every member of my family has. No keys presence, no member in house.
With a phone, you could say: not home or no battery., which is very conmon, at least in my house. The cell battery of this devices lasts for months.
Some phones discconect bluetooth when go sleeping, And the first thing my sons do when their phone is near total discharge and they are not in home, is disabling bluetooth.

thanks for explaining. so you keep your keys on you at home? If you have these around your house i think using my phone would be the best way to keep track. but if the phone goes to sleep and disconnects it will assume im away ?

Yes. I think that is the main problem of device trackers based on phones.

for the ones using gpslogger what settings do you use?

for
interval
distance
accuracy
duration
absolute time

but asking my wife to carry something with her around the house would get a big FU here :smiley:

I have the same problem. I use this method for generic home detection. I do not need room detection, but every family member leave their keys at their room or at the entry. That is the reason for several detectors.

I used to use Owntracks but recently switched to Zanzito mqtt. Iā€™m still using Cloudmqtt with Owntracks, but also installed the mosquito add-on on my HASSIO. When Zanzito senses my wifi, It automatically switches to the my local server. Works flawlessly. I can also send mqtt messages with Zanzito both ways which makes reporting very simple. Will be removing Owntracks by the end of the month.

I have been using zanzito also, sometimes its a little slow to sense im home. I created some stuff in tasker for location and wifi detection but im curious how much that is going to effect my battery, anyone know?

Have you been able to get other info to come in from zanzito? the battery status works fine but i have been tryin to get heart rate and steps but they dont show up?

I have tried a few solutions and the Unifi was the thing that finally worked for me.

Whatā€™s your doubts about Unifi?

I tried it again and it can definitely be solid. I play around a lot with my network and homeland and if I reboot the aps I donā€™t want to have all my automatons think Iā€™m away and right back. I see thereā€™s a consider home flag but that I donā€™t need. Is there away to say if disconnected for 10 min then away? Typing that I think I can do that with the automation.

Do you have any issues with your phone disconnecting over night or anything?

Iā€™m new to android but I seen a settings that basically said dot disconnect when its idle and thatā€™s on.

I like this approach though no battery required

Played around a lot with various tech (iBeacon, GPS, Wi-Fi)

In the end the most reliable has been since I upgraded to a unifi network and running the unifi config on HA.

Been running for a few months now and fairly faultlessly detects our presence. Itā€™s not instant when leaving but thatā€™s ok.

I find nothing is but arriving is the most important for meā€¦ hence iBeacons work well without needing to buy unifi hardware (which I would love to have) !!

I have all UniFi just my garage is at the front of those. Maybe Iā€™ll add a ap in the garage with a wireless uplink. Just for prensence testing it works great just donā€™t connect soon enough and Iā€™m sure hats why