Recovery Possible?

Quick background. My brother passed away unexpectedly. He was running HA on Synology via Docker. He was running Z-Wave JS - though also with zwavejs2mtqq. Long of it short, Synology device is now 5,000 miles away, though I have config data from it. The Aeon Labs USB stick is dead - not showing up.

I have new Raspberry Pi 4 w/ 2022.1.2 running w/ new Aeon Labs USB Z-Wave. I have his legacy network /S0 key. I thought if I set it up with same network key everything would be visible… or discoverable. I am not getting anything.

I am long time sysadmin/ enthusiast. Am I screwed? Will I have to go to every on of the 50 or so devices he previously had and reset each one and re-add?

I am really hoping someone here will pull the metaphorical Rabbit Out of the Hat.

Side question. Should I set up zwavejs2mtqq under Z-Wave JS, or does that just add complication?

Many thanks for help

I’d suggest you join the Discord server where you’ll find people who can help you with this.

The network info is stored on the stick, so without an NVM backup of the stick or the actually stick, you are out unfortunately out of luck.

FWIW I run HASS on docker on Synology. Why is that system not recoverable?

2 Likes

Very sorry for your loss. Hopefully it’s a config issue stopping the zstick from showing up, and is not completely corrupt. Synology makes it very difficult to pass usb sticks through. It’s possible you can change settings to get it to show up again. Check this thread for synology config ideas

If the zstick is the problem (and not synology config) what is the model zstick you are dealing with? Aeotec has some backup tools, but it’s model dependent.

There is also a silicone labs program that could backup the nvm, but it’s not very user friendly.

All would require access to the zstick though.

I would use zwavejs2mqtt (now zwavejsui) over just zwavejs since you have access to more config options, including nvm backups.

1 Like

Thanks for insight guys. To be more clear:
Old/previous config: Synology running docker with Aeon Labs: ‎AEOEZW090-C.
New: Raspberry Pi 4+ with New Aeon Labs: ‎AEOEZW090-C

The previous ‎AEOEZW090-C doesn’t register at all. Nothing in the hardware on the Raspberry Pi 4. I did try to reset using reset hole - that may have blown away saved config. Regardless… after resetting, it is still now showing up. Just verified again.

So I have New ‎AEOEZW090-C on Raspberry Pi 4. I have used the same Network (S0) key. I was hoping that would be enough, and all the Z-Wave devices would show up. Sounds like that is wishful thinking now.

Unless I someone else has alternate solution, I will begin w/ zwavejs2mtqq and trackdown, reset and add everything back. Thx for quick answers.

The Gen5 is incompatible with the RPi4 and requires a USB hub. It won’t be seen without the hub.

The Gen5+ is compatible with the RPi4. Your new stick is probably this. The model name is printed on the stick itself, the model number (ZW090) is identical between them.

According to the user guide, the reset button will only trigger if it is held for 20 seconds. If you only pressed it once, the network may still be there. Try the USB hub and see if anything comes up.

Note that if any devices were included with S2 security, the S0 key alone is not enough. You would need all four keys (S0 plus the 3 S2). If you don’t have those keys, and have S2 security included devices, then you’ll have to re-include those ones. If no S2 security devices, then that doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Yeah, this aeotec rpi incompatibility continues to trip people up. Here’s the write up on why it doesn’t work.

Good news would be at least the old zstick likely works still. If you have access to a windows machine, and you didn’t fully reset the old zstick, the aeotec software I linked above should copy the zwave network from the old Gen 5 zstick to your new gen5+, then the gen5+ stick would work with the rpi4 with the network on it without needing to reinclude devices.

2 Likes