Refresh rate Xiaomi temperature sensor

Hi there! I’m using the xiaomi_aqara component for a couple of month now. It’s working pretty good so far. The only thing bothering me, is the refresh rate of my “Temperature and Humidity Sensor” (Aqara). Especially when turning the gateway off over night (only the gateway, rspb/hass running) and turning it on in the morning, I constantly have to wait for hours for the refreshed/new value to show up.
When hitting the button on the sensor, the new value is immediately transmitted. I have two of those sensors and the problem is consistent with both of them. Contrary other sensors respond immediately (door & motion sensors), when turning the gateway on.

I’m using the standard configuration:

xiaomi_aqara:
  discovery_retry: 5
  gateways:
    - key: ********

The sensor only sends data when there is a significant change in value.
It does not report periodically.
This is to save on sensor battery usage.
Can you leave the gw on all the time?

Ah okay, that’s good to know. So the other sensors are considered “closed” when the gateway is started, but the temperature sonsors’ value is set to “unknown”. Maybe the value could be set to the last known/ latest available one and not to “unknown”? Now I get “unknown” for the “off time” as well as the time since startup, which is a different approach compared to the other sensors.

I’m using the gt with a power adapter EU-CH, so in the future I might consider switching to zigbee/conbee or zigbee2mqtt.

I’m using my GW with an adaptor, too (UK) but I managed to find somewhere where it can remain plugged in at all time without the possibility to be knocked out of the electric outlet.
Also planning to move to zigbee2mqtt when I get my USB dongle through from PRC :slight_smile:

I found that it also depends on signal,

At first my Gateway was in open space and sensors updated every few minutes, when moved Gateway to closed cabinet sensors wold update every 10-20 minutes, so I moved it back to open space

This doesn’t make sense as @hijinx wrote the sensors send data based on significant change in value. ‘Open space’ is really not a requirement for Zigbee devices, I use 1 gateway and my sensors are spread over 4 floors (reinforced concrete) There is no difference is refresh rate between sensors which are close and far away from the gateway.

Seems to be quite popular. Will definitely follow up on new developments!

Distance between gt and one temperature sensor is about 4 meters of open space. So I guess, distance isn’t the problem here.

This was my experience moving Gateway to closed cabinet, I don’t have other powered ZigBee devices so Gateway is the only ZigBee hub

Maybe you have powered ZigBee device which amplify ZigBee network