Remote zigbee hub/router

Hi

I have an Home Assistant installtion (Running on a Raspberry PI 4) in my primary home which i absolutely love, we have recently aquired a second house some 250 km away, i have installed zigbee and shelly devices in the house, but would like everything integrated into my Home assistant installation in my primary house.
The two houses are connected by VPN, and the connection is very stable.

The Shelly devices is connected to my Home Assistant installation, so this is not a problem since the VPN is setup and Shelly is running on Wifi connection

However the problem is the zigbee devices (using both LK Wiser, Aqara, Sonoff and others)

Is there a device (zigbee router/gateway) i can setup in my 2nd home that can control all zigbee devices and get integrated into Home Assistant

Or can i setup a 2nd Home Assistant installation in my second home, and connect to both Home assistant installations from the same App on my phone?

I really hope someone can help with this.

Thanks in advance.

Just recently found out it exists, but maybe this is something too look into?
hassio-zigbee2mqtt/zigbee2mqtt-proxy at master · zigbee2mqtt/hassio-zigbee2mqtt · GitHub ?

It is an official Add-on for HA, but will also run as a docker as far as I understood :smiley:

Nah, I re-read, you still you need to run an additional zigbee controller locally at the remote site,
And that you can connect to your mqtt broker anywhere :wink:

Maybe have a look at this custom component I created for a “master/slave” configuration similar tou yours.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/mqtt-discoverystream-integration/

Check out your companion app, support was added for adding another server. Setting up a second HA might just be your easiest route. Scroll down a little, its just a short paragraph.

Just chiming in here because I’m curious if/how this can be achieved.

Is this not possible if both networks use the same subnet and an ethernet based coordinator that forwards it’s traffic to the server?

In theory, yes. However, if you are using ZHA, it only supports one coordinator, so you can’t have one in your normal house, and one in your remote house. If you use Zigbee2mqtt, you can install it twice, and so have 2 coordinators in HA. or use ZHA for one, and Zigbee2mqtt for the other.

1 Like