Remotec IR Controller and Input Slider

This is some pretty cool stuff…Managed to get it turning on and off. Will play around to see what else is possible with this. Thanks a bunch!!

I was able to get it turning on, but not sure if it’s actually setting the fan to “On Low” correctly. I also wasn’t able to turn off the AC manually for some reason, but I’ll work on it again tomorrow! Thanks again!

1 Like

Looks like it IS a little hit and miss with sending the commands. I can get the AC to turn on and off most of the time, but there are times where it just wont turn on, or off properly or at all. I wonder if this is linked to the IR code? I have Mitsubishi Electric AC units and in the manual there are literally 20-30 codes. I picked the first code and it appears to work, but unsure if there could be a “better” code to use?

As per another post, I also hear multiple beeps when commands are sent. Sometimes 1 beep, sometimes two - which is a bit odd.

Strangely, my states always shows as “Auto Low” for operation even when I specify:

data_template:
    operation_mode: "On Low"

If you get some time, would you also be happy to share your data_templates so we can see how you got the cool modes and slider?

Thanks again!

Here are the input_selects

hvac_mode:
  name: HVAC Mode
  options:
     - Cool
     - Heat
     - Off
     - Resume
  initial: Off

hvac_fan_mode:
  name: HVAC Fan
  options:
       - Auto Low
       - Auto High
       - On Low
       - On High
  initial: Auto High   

and the input_number (formerly called slider)

hvac_temp:
  name: HVAC Temp
  initial: 21
  min: 17
  max: 25
  step: 1

and finally the Group in my config yaml

hvacinputs:
    name: HVAC Inputs
    entities:
      - input_select.hvac_mode
      - input_select.hvac_fan_mode
      - input_number.hvac_temp
      - input_boolean.manual_hvac_heating
      - input_boolean.manual_hvac_cooling
      - input_boolean.manual_hvac_turn_off

Important to remember as well that you do not need to use data_template where you are typing in just the one operation_mode. data by itself is fine.

for example:

- service: climate.set_operation_mode
      entity_id: climate.remotec_zxt120au_heating_1
      data:
        operation_mode: Heat 

Data_template is when you’re having it look elsewhere for the state, like and input_select or even just a reading off another sensor.

For example in this action I am getting TTS to announce good morning and tell me the current outside temperature. It get’s that from the sensor.yr_temperature

- service: tts.google_say
      entity_id: media_player.mini_speaker
      data_template:
        message: 'Good morning. The temperature outside is currently {{ states.sensor.yr_temperature.state }} degrees.'

Hope that all makes sense

Sorry - typo’d that. My config definitely has “data:” but still seems it never turns on as “On Low” however this isn’t so much of an issue - I do wonder if I need to change IR codes? It works on the current code I’m using but there are so many codes for my AC that I’m not sure a change would make a difference given it’s already working.

It does work on and off but isn’t as responsive as I expected.

Great help with the config, will see if I can get something like that working over the weekend! Thanks again!!!

Yeah I just don’t know why sometimes it seem to not respond unless you try it 3 or 4 times. Funnily enough on my automations where I trigger it at a time specifically it has never missed once.

When I do the manual trigger from outside home I just keep hitting it until I see it goes on. It’s not the worst thing in the world.

Good idea to try some of the other numbers though, that might just be this issue.

Thanks! Will give them a try over the weekend but for Mitsubishi Electric ACs there’s def a whole raft of numbers to try … so this could take a while.

Either way appreciate the help! Hope I can get the inputs and sliders working properly - that would be cool

let me know how it goes

Managed to get most of it working! Thanks for your help - do have some strange issues where it simply doesn’t like to turn the heat on which I’m trying to figure out, but it’s working a bit better now! thank you!

Have been wondering how you got the current temp and target temps on your panel - strangely I don’t seem to be able to use the slider to set a temperature, and I can’t see anywhere where it lists a “target temp”

My state looks like this:

new_entity_id: climate.remotec_ac_controller_master_bedroom_cooling_1
old_entity_id: climate.remotec_ac_controller_master_bedroom_cooling_1_16_2
min_temp: 7
fan_list: Unknown 5,Auto High,On High,Unknown 4,On Low,Auto Low
temperature: 24
current_temperature: 24
swing_list: Off,Auto
swing_mode: Auto
value_id: 72057594311655458
fan_mode: Auto High
value_index: 2
operation_mode: Cool
supported_features: 705
value_instance: 1
operation_list: Cool,Resume,Dry Air,Off,Heat,Fan Only,Auto Changeover
unit_of_measurement: °C
node_id: 16
friendly_name: REMOTEC AC Controller Master Bedroom Cooling 1
max_temp: 35

For some reason I can’t ever get it to set the temp to (say) 18deg or anything other than what the “last” setting on the AC was - did you ever run into this issue? It also seems like the fan modes don’t like to be selected, but I’m working on this now…as it always seems to just use the last settings on the AC unit

I’ll have a good look through my info tonight when I get home to see if anything stands out. I do remember it took me a while to get all this setup but can’t remember every little issue.

Here is my listing for the cooling entity_id

min_temp: 7
swing_mode: Auto
operation_mode: Off
unit_of_measurement: °C
current_temperature: 19
operation_list: Resume,Auto Changeover,Cool,Dry Air,Fan Only,Off,Heat
old_entity_id: climate.remotec_zxt120au_cooling_1_2_2
value_instance: 1
max_temp: 35
node_id: 2
temperature: 19
value_id: 72057594076774434
fan_list: Unknown 5,Auto High,On Low,Unknown 4,On High,Auto Low
new_entity_id: climate.remotec_zxt120au_cooling_1
value_index: 2
swing_list: Off,Auto
supported_features: 705
friendly_name: Remotec ZXT-120AU Cooling 1
fan_mode: On High

Here is an action I have for one instance to turn on the cooling to a set temperature. Just remember that you need to use either the remotec heating or cooling in the entity id depending on which you are doing.

action:
      entity_id: climate.remotec_zxt120au_cooling_1
      data:
        operation_mode: Cool
    - service: climate.set_fan_mode
      data:
        fan_mode: Auto High      
    - service: climate.set_temperature
      data:
        temperature: 23

When doing it off the temperature number slider, it’s the same with the entity id just call the data template of your input_number (not input-select remember) like this action

action:
      data_template:
        operation_mode: '{{ states.input_select.hvac_mode.state }}'
    - service: climate.set_fan_mode
      data_template:
        fan_mode: '{{ states.input_select.hvac_fan_mode.state }}'
      data_template:
        temperature: '{{ states.input_number.hvac_temp.state }}'

Thanks - that’s what I’ve done, but doesn’t appear to be working as expected - I’ll play around with it and maybe try move it to another room/HAVC unit to see it it’s possibly an issue with range or that certain AC.

I’ve found it wont set the temp, or wont set the fan mode properly but will move the remotec unit around to see if that makes a difference.

Ok, best of luck with it.

Hey guys.I’ve 4 of those devices. First of all you should set your devices to always listening. Refer to the manual how to achieve that.

I make a break with home assistant as my house needs some attention now. Will continue / start from scratch as soon as I have my new office . but then I’ll stick again into this as I wanna have a reliable system for the summer.

You might wanna look at heaty.
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/heaty-a-flexible-heating-control-facilitating-schedules-and-manual-intervention
This works works with appdaemon.

As soon as I have note spare time I’ll setup those and report back here but it’ll take some time as our kitchen and office must be finished first.

I setup everything on a Intel nuc now and as I said.I’ll completely reset all my hass stuff and devices to factory to start over again after having collected experiences and knowledge for round about one year now.

Now um ready to setup “production” system.

@jonathanp:
I know this was done a while ago, but a quick question.

Is there a way to show the current set temperature on a card? The original aircon remote will show the current set temp on the LCD, but I can not find a way to retrieve the current set temp from the ZXT-120.

It’s likely staring me in the face, but I can’t for the life of me find it.

Very good question. The card doesn’t hold the set temperature, it actually shows the temperature reading of the ZXT 120 which I agree is a bit of a pain, especially as I use a different device to actually measure the current temperature in the same room as the a/c and ZXT 120.

To turn on the device I use a couple of input_select fields and an input_number so that way I have a record of what the temperature, fan speed and fan action were set on.

Looks like this

If that is of interest let me know and I can share the automations behind it.

Definitely of interest.

I have done a little research of my own and the reason the ZXT-120 doesn’t support the ThermostatSetpointCmd_Get command appears based on the fact infrared is one way and the ZXT-120 can never confirm what setting the HVAC / AIRCON is set to. If it is changed by the units Remote rather than the ZXT-120, then the last known settings in the ZXT-120 would be incorrect.

A slight annoyance, but I am guessing we can write some YAML and create a card to work around it.

So as I said I have a differnt device actually capturing the temp in the same room that triggers automatic points where the heating or cooling comes on. Nice to have the house warming up as you come home on a cold (ok somewhat cold, it is Australia) winter evening.

Here though is how I use the sliders and input selects to do it manually.

- alias: Turn on heating manually 
  trigger:
    platform: state 
    entity_id: input_boolean.manual_hvac_heating
    to: 'on'
  action:
      data_template:
        operation_mode: '{{ states.input_select.hvac_mode.state }}'
      data:
        fan_mode: On High
      data_template:
        temperature: '{{ states.input_slider.hvac_temp.state }}'
    - delay: '00:00:02'
    - service: homeassistant.turn_off
      entity_id: input_boolean.manual_hvac_heating
1 Like

@jonathanp
I really do appreciate that. With polling, I found the ZXT-120 temp sensor accurate enough in my unit for what I want to do, but I do know the accuracy of these varies wildly between units.
I look forward to experimenting more with the code you pasted as a base for it.

Thank you for that.

On a slightly related, but different note.
I have discovered a couple of things that make a difference with the ZXT-120, again they are errors in OpenZWave.
The device does actually support the ThermostatSetpointCmd_Get when in always listening mode, or at least it does in the current V1.8 version that has been out for a while now. OpenZwave sets this always to false. If you manually set it on in the zwcfg cache file, then it reflects the set temp correctly, but unfortunately that file is overwritten on reboot.

If the ZXT-120 config file could be permanently fixed in OpenZWave then we would have less than half the issues we have encountered so far. I guess they did the config based on it operating on battery rather than taking into account the always listening mode. Maybe it needs an option to be set in the Config to allow us to set whether the device is always listening or in FLIRS mode.
That’s one for the OZW people to decide on.