Rename Tasmota device and entity names

I havent updated my HA server in a long time and am working through all of the breaking changes. I realize this question may be very simple and also realize I may be overthinking things. I am trying to get my head back in the game and need some assistance.

I previously had a working setup using the Misquito broker for my Tasmota MQTT devices. I recently upgraded my Tasmota devices to the latest version and added the Tasmota integration. So far, it works flawlessly.

My primary question is how to rename the tasmota device and entity names? I see that I can click the pencil and modify the device and/or entity name. However, will this cause issues if the state topic on my device is different?

Thanks in advance.

Did you figure out how to change the tasmota entity names?

1 Like

I did not. I tried changing the name in home assistant but it seems to change it back automatically. Shortly after I posted this, I left for vacation. However, I still need to figure this out.

I use a fan controller with tasmota and pass it through to Alexa. I can then tell Alexa to turn it on or off and what speed I want it to be. However, I need to be able to use a clear name that doesn’t have underscores for this to work.

I may be confused, but isn’t the entity name the name Alexa uses? Your current entity name (not ID) has underscores in it?

There is an answer in this thread: Change Entity ID of Tasmota device - #3 by AndreKR

Well, it might or might not be the same issue. Entity naming in Home Assistant is a bit messy at the moment and in my opinion needs an extensive overhaul, with clearly documented rules how device names are mapped to entity names and separate physical (“Tasmota smart plug #A1B2C3”) and logical (“Living room lamp”) name fields.

1 Like

My issue is entity names and friendly names serve different purposes, and I log data to InfluxDB. Entity IDs should be physical elements while Friendly Names might not be linked to the entity forever-- a plug-in switch unit should be able to keep a constant physical name but when it is repurposed change the friendly name.

Instead I end up with Influx getting physical devices instead of functional devices, since Friendly Name doesn’t get logged for some reason.