Replacing Tasmota firmware with EsphomeLib

well, correct, hence the ‘other than’ :wink: What I’m getting at though is that it could have been the same in all. I would imagine that Tasmota is no different in being able to either hard-code IP addresses or leave them to be router assigned…

Probably… I’ve never checked… I just fix them in my router as reserved.

I think esphome is ideally suited to fiddlers and experimenters. That is me. If I wanted simple, I’d probably use tasmota. If I wanted out of the box I’d probably not use home assistant.

Well there you go as I’d say the exact opposite is true.

Given that with ESPhome you can code a single device to control / monitor multiple switches, sensors of various types, relays, Bluetooth devices, all sorts of things, all at once, I definitely agree that ESPhome is the king for fiddlers and experimenters.

for example for using automations, pretty cool for those times when HASS or WiFi is down. ESPhome can be a miniaturized HASS server on the same device that is also, for example, the switch

I use it on every Sonoff and Shelly switch I have and aside from one Sonoff that gets the occasional flicker (haven’t done any troubleshooting to narrow down yet but likely a network issue not firmware) it works perfectly fine.

What Addon do you need for ESPHome? Mine works perfectly well without any addon (using non-hassio so no addon available).

And arguably you don’t have the “same firmware” in all of your devices either since you have to go into your device (manually or with your script) and modify the firmware to be device specific or it wouldn’t work.

I will grant that tasmota is “simpler” than ESPHome since you don’t “technically” have to write any code but with all of the pre-configured examples of code in the ESPHome doc pages you don’t have to do that with ESPHome either.

I haven’t had to write any code at all (except for a few teaks here and there - just like some people also have to do in Tasmota) because I can just copy other peoples examples. And I’d say that Tasmota is WAY more complicated than ESPHome if you do need to do any “advanced” config since ESPHome uses the already familiar yaml. That’s one of the reasons I didn’t switch to Tasmota for such a long time because the config part was a little overwhelming.

@sparkydave @Klagio As I said hereby I did not want to make anyone bad it was just the experience I was allowed to collect and if I look around here in the forum I’m not the only one

Late to the party but one advantage of esphome over mqtt (if using discovery) is that the esphome api creates an integration for each switch rather than lumping them all in the same mqtt integration.

This makes it much easier to delete and recreate a device.