Report tablet battery to HA

I have a wall mounted fire tablet running LineageOS and I need a way to report the battery status to home assistant so I can toggle the charging on and off.
What can I use to report back stats such as battery level to HA?

Owntracks, GPS logger, Tasker, automate, Ariela, the list goes on…

2 Likes

Ariela - Home Assistant Android Client will do the job just fine :smiley:

2 Likes

How do I set up the battery level reporting in the Ariela app/HA?

It’s a sensor. Open the settings and go to sensors. There are a host of other sensors to send too

Hmm tried adding the sensor from the Ariela app and got this error:

The following components and platforms could not be set up:

mqtt
mqtt.sensor
Please check your config.

The sensor:

- platform: mqtt
  name: "upstairs_tablet_battery"
  state_topic: "homeassistant/sensor/android_amazon_fire_battery/attributes"
  unit_of_measurement: '%'
  value_template: "{{ value_json.state }}"
  json_attributes_topic: "homeassistant/sensor/android_amazon_fire_battery/attributes"

You don’t add anything to the config yaml. Use the app

So I don’t want to use the Ariela app since most cards don’t look right, I need to use Fully and the HA URL. Looks like I need to configure mqtt as well?

Huh?

The APP, will send the sensors to HA…you don’t have to manually configure anything in yaml. Just set the settings in the app

Just turn on the sensor!

1 Like

Ah ok I see it there now. Thanks.

Actually this doesn’t work as expected, the battery level only updates if I am using the Ariela app, if I’m in Fully Kiosk it does not update so that’s no good. Need another solution.

This isn’t true. Please take a few minutes to actually look through the settings.

This solution works exactly like you want if you turn on the correct settings.

Allow background running, and start at boot…

Right there in the settings.

1 Like

Got it, I was looking in battery settings on the android OS to see if it was trying to sleep the Ariela app but could not find the option.
I enabled the above now so we should be good. I’ll test it right away, thanks

@flamingm0e I found a way to turn on the screen of the firehd with a smartthings button but I am having an issue with Ariela that it is not sending the battery sensor status to HA while the tablet screen is off :frowning:
Any ideas if I need to change some other settings? I have start at boot ON and also allow background running which if fine if the tablet screen is always on.

I can assure you that ALL my sensors send to HA with the screen off. Please check your battery optimization settings for the app. This would be in your Android settings, not in Ariela. Again, this app will do what you want, but it’s up to you to know how your device works.

Sure will double check once I get home, but last night I have turned off the screen to test, checked HA in the morning and battery status hadn’t updated over night, turned on screen and it updated right away so yeah maybe something about sleeping apps.

Hi. How did you remotely turn the screen on/off on your adroid tablet from HA (I assume)?

There is a way to do it via a smartthings button, check here: https://community.smartthings.com/t/smartthings-button-to-unlock-android-device/173049