Required a step-by-step guide on how to play sounds and media through a 3.5mm audio jack

“Chromecast Audio”. It is no longer sold but is

And you may be able to find other sellers with old-as-new stock.

Got it.
Fleabay apparently is a local service, and when I search, it only gives results within my 100 miles radius…
When I try to change my location I get “Oops, something went wrong”.
For some reason, in ebay the prices of this device are skyrocketing.
:sob:

Do you think something like this will work?

Sorry. fleabay is a derogatory term for eBay. Which is available everywhere AFAIK.

That device looks like a Chinese copy of the Chromecast Audio. Will it work with home assistant?

I have no idea, but I doubt it.

Oh, because there really is a website called fleabay :slight_smile:
Ok, if you have any other idea on how to get forward with this, I’ll be glad to hear.
Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you

1 Like

Ha. I did not know that. I will be more careful with the term in future.

I’ve been considering the use of sounds for some time and recently found DFPlayer from DFRobot (look it up). If you are OK with minimal hardware tinkering its supported in ESPhome. I like the fact that there is no sound limitation and you can put the player in a convenient location. May be an option for you?

Thanks Diecky.
Well, the truth is that I do look into learning more about chips and hardware, and that may be a good start, and with a purpose that will motivate me.
Can you please detail what additional hardware will I need for this project?

The Dfplayer is a mp3 player.
You will need speaker(s) and a ESP8266 or ESP32.
32 is a better device but for this purpose 8266 will have no problems.

I used only a speaker with no amplifier, the speaker type you find built in desktop PCs, like 1-1.5 inch large.
It’s enough to hear the sounds from across the room with decent quality, but don’t expect much more than sounds and simple tunes.
If you need more sound then I believe you need an amplifier and larger speaker (obviously).

But since you are on the build theme.
Have a look at the 8266 diy smart speaker that is posted here.
It’s probably not much more expensive and probably not much harder to build but you get more functionality.

1 Like

If that’s the mqtt one it has an awful noise issue. It requires an external DAC to rectify it, which makes it slightly more complicated.

Alright, didn’t know that. I just read the first few posts.

But a used Google home or Chromecast is probably not much more expensive that building a DFplayer with ESP.
I haven’t looked at the prices but just a rough guess.

Others have provided specific info here but if you want to try more generic tinkering, creating your own ESP8266 sensors is fun and very rewarding due to huge range of possibilities. I would recommend looking at a few videos. Many swear by the Bruh sensor video here:
$15 DIY Multisensor - Temperature, Humidity, Light, Motion, and RGB LED - YouTube

That’s great for the hardware portion but when it comes to software its easiest to load it up with ESPHome which interfaces really nicely to Home Assistant. Recommended video here:
DIY ESPHome Multisensor - Temp, Humidity, RGB LED, Motion and LUX - YouTube

Hope that helps.

Thank you Diecky

Ok, I’m very excited, because I found a solution which works great:
I took a very old RPi that I bought 7 years ago (Model B rev 2), and installed on it RPi OS, and then I installed Mopidy. In another post here, someone suggested me to look at a new Mopidy integration from GitHub, which was created by bushvin.
A few setups, and it works!!
Now I can hear notifications when automations are triggered, when my loved ones enter my house (“Welcome XXXX”) and so on and so forth. This is very cool, and I’m very happy it works, as I’m quite far from being an engineer…
Thank you all for your help.

2 Likes

Wow, big bummer this addon stopped working and no solution all year.

Any updates on how we can still get sound directly through 3.5mm jack (without using google) on Homeassistant OS?

Edit: and without using a second Rpi

1 Like

Check the official Addon Store in Supervisor. VLC will be available as a core addon when version 2021.3 of home assistant is released. Or you can join the beta program and test it now.

1 Like

It is truly amazing that there is not a straight forward way to get a noise out of Pi built-in audio. Frustrating and hoping with further experimentation I can find a solution too.

3 Likes

@tom_l looks like the official add on for VLC is available now but it does not have an option to set the password. Am I missing something? configuration entery for vlc telnet errors out if i leave the password blank. any thoughts?

Facing the same problem: Added VLC ADDON and no documentation on how to set a password for it.

For the vlc_telnet (in configuration;yaml), i can set a password and, as i imagine, this one should be the VLC ADDON password…? Am i wrong ?
So, where to setup this VLC ADDON password ? SECRET.yaml ??? And correct syntax if so…?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Eddy
configuration.yaml
###################################
media_player:

• platform: vlc
    name: speaker
    ##arguments: “–alsa-audio-device=hw:1,0”
  • platform: vlc_telnet
    name: vlctelnet
    host: 192.168.1.15
    port: 4212
    password: vlctelnet
    ###################################
1 Like

Check the Home Assistant Addon github repository (I don’t have access at the moment) there may be an issue open for this already. If not, open one.