Reverse SSH Tunnel/Remote Access Help

Would OpenVPN work from behind Verizon’s double NAT? Might have to explore this option, however I wonder if this would cause Google cloud to charge me (right now I have the $300 credit for a year)

“domain”: “example.duckdns.org"
should be changed. It has to match the domain that you got on their website (https://www.duckdns.org/)

The actual address is not example.duckdns.org…I have my actual domain put in the config

sure, because you will open the connection from your pi to your VPS outside verizon. Usually openvpn uses UDP, but you can change that to TCP if you want.

OK so I just tested and it’s working now…very weird. Thanks for all your help @rusenask!

1 Like

Any feedback on configuration? I wonder whether I could add something either to the config json or to the docs.

Another option is Cloudflare Argo. Cost is $5/month though and you would need your own domain (DuckDNS won’t work).

I’m trying it out right now for a month to see if I like it. I already had a domain hosted on Cloudflare so setup of the Argo tunnel was really easy. I have tried to break it and so far it seems pretty robust.

If you want any more details, let me know.

Not really, the configuration worked but I just find it weird that I’m still getting those port 443 port is in use errors. I guess as long as it works it’s fine

alright, I think the HTTP challenge is not disabled in the Let’s Encrypt library that I am using. It gets the certificate through a DNS challenge so it doesn’t make any difference for the functionality.

I will be refactoring that part of code and will release a new base image so the add-on can be rebuilt.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not really hosting anything and had no use for a VPS other than to try this Reverse SSH tunnel, so I don’t think I’ll be keeping that as an option. If I’m going to shell out the $5 a month, I might just stick with the webhookrelay add-on as it appears to be working. Glad to see that there are multiple solutions for this.

I am having same issues with the free tier, relay misconfigured. I’ll be very happy to see how HA remote access with Webhooks works. Thanks for your offer.

Hi @Chinedu_Abia, could you pm me your username so I could enable free trial?
Also, what do you see in the logs? It’s probably not starting due to config error.

@rusenask Thanks, I sent a PM.