RFlink vs RFcom

Hi.
I am currently looking at taking control over some 433mhz devices, I am looking both at
RFXtrx433E (RFcom)
and
RFLink http://www.rflink.nl/blog2/ https://www.nodo-shop.nl/en/rflink-gateway/127-rflink-arduino-antenna.html

The Rfcom is more exensive but if it is better it would probably be worth it.

I wondering which solution that is best suited when it comes to:

• Capacity / Reliability (Best range / Least hickups)
  • Device Support
  • Home Assistant integration / usability
    Components for RFlink
    RFlink / RFlink Switch / RFlink Light / RFlink Sensor
    Components for RFXTRX
    RFXtrx / RFXtrx Binary Sensor / RFXtrx Cover / RFXtrx Light / RFXtrx Sensor / RFXtrx Switch
  • Future proof

Any thoughs and experiences would be gladly received.

Thanks /Ronnie

I’m using OpenMQTTGateway. It’s DIY approach but very easy to build. Just buy all the parts, solder them together, upload the sketch and done.

Hello.
I have looked at the OpenMQTTGateway as well, how are you experiencing the Range / Raliability on that ?
Really want a solid (as solid as 433mhz gets) solution.
Are you using the “basic” 433Mhz Receiver XD RF 5V and transmitter FS1000A, if yes have you fiddled about with different voltage / antenna config for improved range ?

Thanks / Ronnie

Hi.
I tried that one and what i found out was that it dont have any support for newer “selflearning” 433mhz devices.

So all the Tellstick (Nexa) devices / outlets i have dont work with this solution.

yeah. not every devices are supported. for me, i started with the gateway and bought all the supported devices. This is the cheapest option available. The sensors are cheap and the gateway parts are cheap and easy to put together.

if you already have the devices, it is best to choose the gateway that can support them.

I have an RFcom for controlling LightwaveRF switches. It’s probably the most reliable component of my entire setup. Having said that if I were to start again from scratch today I’d probably build the DIY MQTT gateway, purely based on cost.

Thanks for the info.
@masterkenobi do you know if there are any supported themometers for OpenMQTTGateway, that is not listed as a category at all on the “supported device list”

Thanks / Ronnie

none. i would love to find one too.

Yes i agree.

I had the LightwaveRF Hub Link and it was to slow and relied on the internet.
So i spent £80 on the RFXtrx433E (RFcom) and it is very fast and easy to setup. Plus it does other RF devices .
I also had a load of Home Easy Smart plugs aswell and they work with the RFcom.

What i want to do now is get some nice door/window 433Mhz sensors but not sure which ones.
I have seen the cheap ones for china that have massive pullout aerials not to keen on them .

Unfortunately there is no one covers all…
I have the RFXtrx433E but as the cheap and cheerfull devices are not supported I started to build a couple of the OpenMQTTGateway…
Downside is OpenMQTTGateway doesn’t do the Thermometer stuff and as I have quite a few of them I needed to keep the RFXtrx433E.

So all my sensors and switches are on the openMQTTGateway and all my Thermometers on the RFXtrx433E :slight_smile:
Now today I got a new RFX Thermometers that do not work on the RFXtrx433E but they are supported on the RFLink … so guess what I bought today … a RFLink set…

Hopefully the RFLink does support all devices so can go back to one device again… but I doubt it…

The RFLink forum is very active… RFXtrx433E is not … there still updates comming out but not very frequent

I was using the LightWaveRF reed switches… but the batteries didn’t last a month on my front door. Ended up building a reed sensor on a NodeMCU.

I use HomeEasy Light switches too, they are really nice!

Funny i was looking at the LightwaveRF door sensors iam glad i did not buy any.

How did you power your NodeMCU by battery or 3v / 5v PSU ?

By PSU. I ran a USB cable to power from my kitchen which isn’t far away through a wall.

All wires are hidden under the carpet and the reed is in the corner of the door hidden away. I have one on my letterbox too!

1 Like