Rfxtrx lights are recognized as switches in 0.113

I’ve updated my config for Rfxtrx, to make is work again in 0.113. All my kaku devices are recognized as switches, but some of them are lights. Setting the device class didn’t help, it’s still recognized as a switch. What am I doing wrong?

# RFXtrx tranceiver
rfxtrx:
  device: dev/serial/by-id/usb-RFXCOM_RFXtrx433_A51GEFMP-if00-port0
  devices:
    0b11000100be50a20a010f80:
      device_class: light
1 Like

I solved it. See also https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/38077 and https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/38107

Change the last 6 digits of the Id to 020f70 will make it being recognized as a light. Note that you have to figure out what digit to change. The last topic gives different examples.

1 Like

Only one byte should be changed:

for ARC sensors it should be 010F70 -> 020F70
for LIghtwaveRF it should be: 010F70 -> 100F70

Can you elaborate on this? I have a bunch of LightwaveRF wall dimmers that were originally lights. An example in my configuration is:
0a14000101f20302010080:

I tried changing this to 0a14000101f20302020f70: but it still showed up as a switch in the integration. I’ll try 100F70 at the end.

I think it should be 100080 at the end in your case, but that is a guess. @elupus is saying that only one byte should be changed. I think it would be good to add this to the documentation, by someone who understands how this exactly works.

1 Like

Tried to add it to docs here: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/14082

1 Like

I appreciate the docs being updated. However, is there a plan for the future to remove complexity that has been added with then new implementation, with users needing to modify the codes to get the devices mapped to the correct type (light vs switch) and with the correct properties (dimmable vs non-dimmable).

Can the integration not handle the conversion, allow the user to specify that the type and properties of device via the UI. Especially as generating dimming commands when capturing a light isn’t always straight forward and when it wasn’t required previously.

2 Likes

Ok, this must have been the most cumbersome thing I ever did inside Homeassistant, but I managed to move my RFXTRX KAKU lights to the new format. Below a small tutorial:

Starting position: a light (light.schuur_poort) in old config. I want the device to be re-added with the same entity name. All RFXTRX mentions removed from configuration.

1. Add light to configuration.yaml
rfxtrx:
   device: /dev/ttyUSB0
   debug: True
   devices:
     # Light Schuur poort light.schuur_poort
     0b11003a014157160b010f60:
  1. Restart homeassistant
  2. Go to integrations -> RFXCOM RFXtrx and click “device”
  3. Click the newly added device (with strange name)
  4. Click cogwheel on top right
  5. Rename device to “Switch Schuur poort”
  6. Click the switch (the one with the lightning symbol) under “entities” and rename to “switch.schuur_poort”
  7. Disable all other entities
  8. Create a new light on platform switch
light:
  - platform: switch
    name: Schuur poort
    entity_id: switch.schuur_poort
  1. Restart homeassistant
  2. Repeat step 1-10 for all other lights

Alternative for creating a light from a switch is changing the device ID. In your case, change 0b11003a014157160b010f60 to 0b11003a014157160b020f60 and it will be recognized as a light.

Where can I find the current device id and where can I set the changed device id? I started using home assistant this year. RFXCOM is working fine, but there’s nothing in my configuration.yaml file and I have two KAKU dimmers that were added as switches that I need to convert.

Good question! Had a look and also couldn’t find it. In my case I entered the values in configuration.yaml so I can get them from there. You might be able to get the values by removing the entities and then discovering them again.

The easy way is to go to your integrations page and select ‘devices’ or ‘entities’ from the RFXTRX integration. That will lead you to the respective lists.

Worst case you have to open the entities or devices files in the .storage folder. Please note this is NOT advised and at your own risk.

Running into the same problems. Did you sort it out already?

I can only change the Name or title of the entity. Not the type itself. Havent found the .storage folder. Any idea where to find that one?

HA noob over here so might need some extra help :slight_smile:

The .storage folder is a hidden folder (as per the dot in front of the name). It’s directly beneath your config folder.

WARNING: If you don’t know this, you probably shouldn’t be editing anything inside this folder. Do this at your own risk, because you might screw up your HA and not be able to start it again.

Of you change the code stored it will assume it’s a dimmable light. So a might switch entity is your best bet. Silly but true.

And how do I do that? Where can I find the code?

Same here, my kaku devices are also added as switches. Would love to have them as they are…dimmable lights. Any help appreciated.