Rhasspy offline voice assistant toolkit

F***ing excellent!!!

4 Likes

Agreedā€¦great news. Hopefully I can revisit this next year after a few HA updates and get this going.

1 Like

Wow, nice christmas gift !!!

1 Like

So what happened to Mycroft?

Iā€™ve enjoyed working with the people at Mycroft, but it was hard to say no to a job offer to work full time on my first love (Rhasspy) :heart:

4 Likes

Excellent news!

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to set up a PS3 Eye microphone in Rhasspy (Home Assistant addon) and have two problems:

1. Microphone only starts transmitting audio to rhasspy if I execute in HA console (in web ui):
    ha audio default input --name "alsa_input..."
    I found this way here. But for me it only works until reboot.

2. The microphone does not hear well and to make it more sensitive, as I understand it, I need to configure asound.conf. But I donā€™t know where to place it. I tried creating it in all possible places:

• /etc/asound.conf
  • ${HOME}/.asoundrc
  • /usr/share/hassio/audio/asound
  • asoundrc input string in addon config
pcm.jack {
  type hw
  card ALSA
}

pcm.array {
  type hw
  card CameraB409241
}

pcm.softvol {
  type softvol
  slave.pcm "jack"
  control {
    name Master
    card 0
  }
}
pcm.cap {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "array"
  slave.channels 4
  ttable {
    0.0 15.0
    1.1 15.0
  }
}
pcm.!default {
    type asym
    playback.pcm "plug:softvol"
    capture.pcm {
      type plug
      slave.pcm "cap"
    }
}

But it either does nothing or it breaks the sound in Rhasspy. I need help.

I have a different kind of problemā€¦ After I installed Rhasspy I only put 1 switch and 1 light in the slots and the buttons on my HA are now goneā€¦
Anyone have any idea why that happened?

Capture

To the right of the Light should be a button for a Fan but itā€™s no longer appearing since installing Rhasspyā€¦ The fan was put in as a switchā€¦ the light associated with it is the sameā€¦button is now gone.

I found a way to run Rhasspy in a docker image with Home Assistant Supervised.

You can check the operation of the microphone and speaker with the following commands:

arecord -d 5 -D plughw:1,0 test.wav
aplay -D plughw:2,0 test.wav

By specifying instead of plughw:x,x devices of your host system, looking at their commands arecord -l and aplay -l.

The problem is that the hostā€™s audio devices are busy with the Home Assistantā€™s audio system. This issue is reported here: https://github.com/home-assistant/plugin-audio/issues/12
I used the solution from the penultimate post.

Once the microphone and speaker are available, /etc/asound.conf can be configured. I have it set up like this (I use PS3 eye):

pcm.array {
 type hw
 card CameraB409241 # microphone device name
}

pcm.array_gain {
    type softvol
    slave.pcm "array"
    control {
      name "PSEye"
      count 2
      card 0
    }
    min_dB -5.0
    max_dB 30.0
}

pcm.cap {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "array_gain"
  slave.channels 4
  ttable {
    0.0 15.0
    1.1 15.0
  }
}

pcm.speaker {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm {
        type hw
        card "KTUSBAUDIO" # speaker device name
        device 0
    }
   }
}

pcm.!default {
  type asym
  capture.pcm "cap"
  playback.pcm "speaker"
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

The path to asound.conf must be specified when running the docker image:

docker run -d -p 12101:12101 --name rhasspy --restart unless-stopped -v "$HOME/.config/rhasspy/profiles:/profiles" -v "/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro" -v "/etc/asound.conf:/etc/asound.conf" --device /dev/snd:/dev/snd rhasspy/rhasspy:2.5.11 --user-profiles /profiles --profile en

With this configuration, everything works well. The only problem is, when the host is rebooted, the microphone becomes unavailable and its cable needs to be re-plugged. If anyone knows how this can be solved, I will be glad to advice.

1 Like

Has anyone else noticed that since Home Assistant 2023.2.x some of the built-in intents donā€™t give spoken feedback through Rhasspy anymore? For me,

• HassTurnOn
  • HassTurnOff
  • HassToggle
  • HassLightSet

are broken in that sense, whereas

• HassOpenCover
  • HassCloseCover

are still working fine. The intent scripts Iā€™ve written myself still work as intended too.

Rhasspy 3 developer preview is now available: Rhasspy 3 Developer Preview - Announcements - Rhasspy Voice Assistant

1 Like

@synesthesiam just curious, is there any point in me continuing to play with Rhasspy, or should I just wait for HAā€™s year of the voice to mature?

Playing with Rhasspy will get you ā€œearly accessā€ to some things. For example, the Rhasspy 3 add-on already does local STT with Whisper, uses Assist, and does local TTS too. If you already have some Raspberry Piā€™s for satellites and free, this might be the way to go for now.

I donā€™t know exactly what the HA side of things is going to end up like, but you can bet it will be more polished and streamlined than Rhasspy :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Does anyone have a way to configure Rhasspy to send all audio playing to Sonos ?

When I set up Rhasspy I went the the automation route instead of the intent route and then I use automation like this:

id: Rhasspy Say the Date
alias: Rhasspy Say the Date
trigger:
  platform: event
  event_type: rhasspy_GetDate
action:
- service: script.sonos_say
  data:
    sonos_entity: media_player.living_room
    volume: 0.5
1 Like

Has similar issue, solved it by omitting the content type, not sending binary data and pointing rhasspy to its local media folder path.
curl -X POST 'http://10.0.0.X:12101/api/play-wav' -d '/profiles/media/alerts/audio.wav'