Rheem EcoNet HVAC System

Good day, and thank you for reading in advance.

I recently upgraded my HVAC system to a Rheem Smart HVAC with Econet thermostat control (https://www.rheem.com/innovations/innovation_residential/econet/). In the forums and integrations, there seems to be some integration work with their smart water heater, but I have yet to see anyone start work on a plug-in for the thermostat. I am happy to help someone develop it as I do have some programming experience and would like to learn more. Hit me up if this is something you are interested in pursuing and we can tag-team the work!

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

Hey! So I created the original integration with the water heater. I had plans on implementing the thermostats too, but never got around to it. I actually never owned any Rheem products until a few months back when I replaced my water heater.

The current integration is using an old API that Rheem doesn’t use anymore with their official app, I believe at some point they will shut it down.

I have briefly looked at their new API but it’s more complex.

I also reached out to Rheem directly and asked about a public API which they said they were working on and planned to have in the next year or so.

Anyway, if you want to try to help work on their current new API we could attempt that. It uses MQTT for push updates I believe.

What programming experience do you have?

1 Like

Thanks for responding, w1ll1am23!

I programmed with numerous languages while completing my CS degree, and continue using VBA to this day. I have some experience with python, but more with C++. My experience has always been geared to what I needed to use for work or certain home projects, leaning more towards Arduino and ESP8266 boards lately.

So, to begin, I guess the best starting point is to just point me toward Rheem’s API and any documentation you are aware of so I can get up to speed? I assume to start with https://developer.myrheem.com/. I just created an account and will start there. If there is any other documentation you found helpful, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

Unfortunately nothing is documented, we will need to intercept the traffic from their mobile app and figure out the API from there. I took a look at that again last night and have a few of the REST endpoints figured out, but now I need to figure out this MQTT stuff.

Do you own any rooted Android devices?

1 Like

Might be able to have a quicker conversation on discord. I am w1ll1am#0888 on there.

2 Likes

@dbbabcock still have any interest in helping out with this? I have made some progress on their new API and could use some help. Again, may be quicker to chat on discord so feel free to hit me up over there.

1 Like

Yes, still interested; life just got in the way between work and yard/house maintenance. I just created a discord account so will hit you up there this evening (Thursday).

1 Like

Added a server over there so others can join and discuss.

1 Like

Hopefully your able to get the integration working with the new API. I switched over from Smartthings to HA and this is the last thing I have to migrate. I don’t have any real programming experience myself (outside of scripting languages) but I may be able to help with testing.

@Madj42 join in the discord group, just put a thermostat custom component together that needs some testing more testers is always good.

2 Likes

I joined the discord channel… hoping to be a tester for all things econet.
I own a ProTerra unit and 98% Furnace + 2 stage econet compressor.