Ring Device integration via MQTT w/ Video Streaming

I think this defects the purpose of 2FA on main account since the shared account does’t have 2FA, right?

For this ring integration https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/ring/, it supports using token I think. I disabled 2FA on my ring account, setup integration on HA. Then I enabled 2FA again, the ring integration still works on HA, even after reboot (which I do receive text msg code, but just ignore).

I don’t think it defeats the purpose of 2FA at all. What does 2FA really provide? It provides protection of your account if the password is compromised, by requiring a second “factor” to login.

That’s great, but the first thing that has to happen is that your password has to be compromised. There are basically three primary ways that passwords are compromised:

1. Weak passwords
  2. Using the same password on mulitple sites
  3. Stealing your password, typically by phishing or other attacks (perhaps keylogger, although I don’t believe these are super common, but they do happen).

However, if using a “service” account, you should create a completely random, super long, very complex password and that password should be stored only on the server running ring-mqtt. In that case, none of the traditional ways passwords are compromised would realistically be possible.

Even worse, the other key idea behind 2FA is that it involves two distinct “factors”, something you know (your username/password), and something you have (you device to receive the pin). If you just replace the 2nd factor with a token stored on the same machine as the password, then it almost completely devaules the use of 2FA as a compromise of the server running ring-mqtt will still compromise the account.

In other words, I personally see zero benefit to 2FA with an account that is used only for this one thing and has a complex password immune from the normal attack methods.

All of that being said, I’m not opposed to implementing 2FA, someone else has already submitted a pull request to add it, but I just don’t have any time to really work on it and merge it into the current tree as I’ve had some unexpected things come up that have left me with no time to maintain this project properly, especially since it works perfectly fine for me as is. Hopefully that will change in the next few months as I have a number of things outstanding to merge.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks again for your great work!

In case you didn’t get this rectified, I’ve found that I have to manually restart the add-on. About 2 minutes after the restart, my Ring Alarm devices show up.

New to the Home Assistant scene but managed to get this setup and integrated with my Ring Alarm system after some trial and error. I did have a question though:

I was using my Ring Alarm as my overall Hub with a few water sensors, smart plugs, thermostat and those devices don’t show up in here, just my Ring Alarm Devices. Is there anything I can do to get these to show up as well?

I wanted to keep them in the Ring Alarm to easily pull up the app and make changes remotely while integrating everything with Home Assistant to make some automations. Is this possible @tsightler?

I am getting below error when try to run in container. The docker didn’t start at all, how can I view log in /root/.npm/_logs/2019-12-09T03_16_28_261Z-debug.log? Thanks!

> [email protected] start /srv
> node ring-alarm-mqtt.js

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] start: `node ring-alarm-mqtt.js`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] start script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /root/.npm/_logs/2019-12-09T03_16_28_261Z-debug.log

Did you ever figure this out? I’ve been installing some ZWave light switches and thought of turning everything in the house on if the alarm goes off but haven’t figured out how to check for that.

I just used this today and it worked right away. I actually went from using it on a separate VM to now using is on HassIO

BTW it seems that @tsightler wants the future of this code to reside in ring-mqtt instead of ring-alarm-mqtt.

@rajansub will you eventually base this on the newer branch?

I did the add-on worked for a few mins, showed the alarm in MQTT as “Entities without devices” at the bottom of the list and then the add-on stopped working. I restarted it and same thing work for a sec or two and stopped again. I would love to get this working since I just added a Ring Alarm system in to the mix with my security smart lights Ring gave me. Any ideas why will not stay running?

I have a pretty simplistic question. I’m using hass.io on a raspberry pi and installed the ring alarm integration using the ring-alarm-hassio-addon by @rajansub a long time ago. It says version 0.52 when I look at the addons page. I think there may have been updates to @tsightler source since I added the addon. How do I first know if there are updates or not, and second, how do I get them? I hit “rebuild” but the version stayed at 0.52. I’m not actually missing any desired functionality, however I do prefer to keep software up-to-date.

Thanks

Thank a lot this is working for me.

I created a hass add-on for the new ring-mqtt repository. This adds support for doorbells, among other things.

3 Likes

I have this integration running in a docker in ubuntu. While I am using node-red to make some automation based on ring motion sensor, I found that one of the motion sensor only has “on” status change event and never have the “off” status change event. The other motion sensor has both events. The ring app shows both motion sensors have on and off status correctly. Anyone has similar experience? How can I debug where the issue is? Thanks.

Awesome! You rock!

Did you ever figure this out? I’m getting the exact same error.

I haven’t figure out

Can anyone shed some light on the error I’m receiving when trying to initially set this up?

[email protected] start /srv

node ring-mqtt.js

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! errno 1

npm ERR! [email protected] start: node ring-mqtt.js

npm ERR! Exit status 1

npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] start script.

npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:

npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2020-01-15T02_40_32_861Z-debug.log

Can you post the logs?

In case anyone using this upgrades to HA 0.104.0 and notices the locks not reporting correctly - https://github.com/tsightler/ring-alarm-mqtt/issues/40

This might be a dumb question, but I can't find the location of the log that it list.  /root/.npm is there, but _logs is not.