Ring Device integration via MQTT w/ Video Streaming

Hello,
what has changed in the MQTT URL?

Is this the correct url:
mqtt://auto_username:auto_password@auto_hostname:1883

How can I share full logs and all conifgs? And on witch Github page?

What just occurred to me, the error wired up At night my Home Assistant was suddenly no longer available and I had to stretch out the power on the Raspberry Pi and plug it in again so that Home Assistant worked again.

Hi all

First of all sorry if my questions were already raised by someone here, but as there are more than 1000 posts, itā€™s not easy to get an answer just by reading them or by key words.

Thanks to this integration I was able to get Ring Alarm communicate with HA via Mosquitto broker
MQTT.

My questions are:
1/ I have added 2 new sensors (1h ago), but for now Iā€™m unable to see them in my devices list of Mosquitto broker MQTT. I did a complete scan of mqtt devices by going to the listening mode again and adding #, but no success to discover these 2 new sensors. Also just for your information, I already had 2 of these sensors previously (they are working well with HA), these are just 2 new but the same model.

2/ When the alarm is armed (home or away), I have noticed that it is not possible to trigger it from HA. For example I want to trigger the alarm with a third party sensor that is located in my garage. It seems that Ring is blocking the activation or triggering of the alam when it is armed. Did anyone here found a solution for this.

Many thanks for your help.
Phil

ok I found the answer for my first question, in the documentation of the Mqtt Broker application.
Here below is the answer (I just had to click on Re-configure):

Configuration

MQTT discovery is enabled by default, but can be disabled. To do this, click on ā€œConfigureā€ in the integration page in the UI, then ā€œRe-configure MQTTā€ and then ā€œNextā€.
Link: MQTT - Home Assistant

My second question is still open and your answer are more than welcome.

2/ When the alarm is armed (home or away), I have noticed that it is not possible to trigger it from HA. For example I want to trigger the alarm with a third party sensor that is located in my garage. It seems that Ring is blocking the activation or triggering of the alam when it is armed. Did anyone here found a solution for this. Blockquote

Many thanks

I have no idea what happened, however all of my ring alarm entities now show unavailable. I have regenerated a new token like I did the last time this happened, but alas, everything is still unavailable. According to the history log, everything went offline on 9/29.

You donā€™t really give much information to help you withā€¦ but the first thing I would recommend you do is try restarting the add-on and also make sure your MQTT broker is running.

Hi all,

no idea about this please

Thank you for your help

Can you trigger your ring alarm through the ring app? I canā€™t find where to do that.

If you canā€™t do it through the ring alarm, then this add-on probably wonā€™t be able to either.

I could be wrong, so if anyone else has more insight, please feel free to chime in!

Ring doesnā€™t provide a capability to trigger the standard alarm via the API, alarms can only be triggered via local, Ring certified sensors, which are connected directly to the base station via Z-wave.

You can get close to what you want if you enable the panic switches option in the configuration and then you will get access to switches that allow you to trigger a ā€œpoliceā€ or ā€œfireā€ panic alarm, the same as what is available in the app, but Iā€™ve been told by at least one user that this requires a Ring subscription to work. Note that it may be a violation of your Ring terms of service to trigger these via automation from 3rd party sensors if you are using monitoring, which is why these are not enabled by default.

@tsightler I am not the only one with my problem.

I really donĀ“t know why not all users have this problem. But I am not the only one.

And maybe you can give me an answer of my post from 07.10.2022.

I never said you were the only one with the problem, although, so far, nobody has opened an issue on the project and provided logs.

Hi @tsightler I wonder if you can perhaps give me a hint on my problem:

I have not figured out why this happens but I followed the steps and after a while I managed to get it working by adding the exposed RSTP URL as a generic camera, and it was working by streaming the video feed live, but the next day everything seemed to stop. My hunch says it has something to do with the new update of the supervisor and core of Home Assistant which i did.

When trying to add the generic camera I get a Timeout:

Also it does not seem to work in VLC reporting that it cannot resolve the host?

Home Assistant 2022.10.2
Supervisor 2022.10.0
Operating System 9.0
Frontend 20221006.0 - latest
Mosquito Broker 6.1.3

Much help appreciated.

Iā€™m not doing technical support in this thread, please open a discussion thread or issues on the Github page for this project. In general, there is nothing I can do without logs.

Also it does not seem to work in VLC reporting that it cannot resolve the host?

If you are attempting to connect from outside of HA you would need to change the URL to include the hostname or IP of your HA server and you would need to make sure you have exposed the host.

hi,

I had my ring integration working flawlessly for the last little while. I then had to reinstall Home Assistant from scratch and now after setting up this integration, I see lot more than before (some entries that I really donā€™t need) when I integrate to HomeKit. I was wondering if there is a way to clean them up or filter them via HomeKit integration or any other suggestions. please find below some few samples.

Thanks for your answer. Well there is a way to trigger the external an internal alarm by using third party sensors and itā€™s working for me. The only thing is, third party sensors will not be able to trigger when ring is armed.

But I found a way to do this using Alarmo + Ring. Instead of arming ring when I leave, I have to arm Alarmo which will use all the devices from ring (internal & external sirens, sensors etcā€¦) + third party sensors. This solution is more complex but have a lot of advantages.

I guess thatā€™s a different definition of ā€œtriggering the alarmā€ than I was using since you specifically asked about triggering the alarm when it was armed.

Thatā€™s not really a question for this thread, but including and excluding devices, by domain, pattern match, or individual entity, is fully covered in the Homekit integration documentation.

thanks for your prompt rely and helping. Since it was not exposing those items in my previous install, I thought there is something changed in the add-on new version when I installed it and I had to configure it different. I apologize if I used a wrong place for my question.

Itā€™s possible that something has changed, perhaps you were running some very old version of the addon, new features are added all the time after all, but, realistically, you didnā€™t share any details about your old setup, versions, configurations, etc., or even a definition of ā€œthe last little whileā€, so Iā€™m not sure how anyone might be able to determine what is different from what you had previously.

However, there are no secrets in the addon, every configuration option is documented, I try to make the changelog for each release as exhaustive as possible, and thereā€™s an upgrade document that describes all changes from 4.x to 5.x, so you can look for yourself, but, realistically, if you donā€™t want given features to be available in HomeKit, then you should filter them out from within the HomeKit integration.

1 Like

thanks,
I used your suggestion and used the filter option from HomeKit to filter them in config.yaml.
thanks for your amazing add-on and it is always working stable for me.

1 Like

Well the only thing is, whatever the way I use to trigger the alarm (by actioning the siren switch from HA for example), if the alarm is armed by ring, then no command from HA will work. Thatā€™s why I have do it in an alternative way. I hope you understood what I mean. Not easy to explain :grin: