Ring Device integration via MQTT w/ Video Streaming

I was having the same issue and came looking for the answer. But I seem to have accidently solved it. It looks like any picture card tries to preload the stream even when that option isn’t selected and this keeps the live stream live. I deleted the card and now just have an icon linked to the live camera entity. When I close the pop up it stops the live stream in the ring app. The live stream switch still says its on but that will then reset after about 5 minutes and doesn’t switch itself back on.

Picture card should not do this as long as the camera has the snapshot URL configured correctly. If you don’t configure the snapshot URL in the generic camera settings, then yes, any picture card will start a stream because, instead of using the snapshot URL, Home Assistant will try to grab one from the stream. This is covered in the documentation.

Also, the 5 minute issue is also covered as it has always worked this way because this is the timeout for the HA stream component. To get faster startup/shutdown you can use the go2rtc addon in concern with RTSPtoWebRTC integration, which will provide the fastest stream startup and will shutdown in ~10 seconds of inactivity.

Unfortunately it was. It was displaying the snapshot not a video but still not allowing the live stream to shut down.

Also note that camera view in the picture glance card must be set to auto and not live.

Did an update come out recently that removed the streaming information from the Ring camera? When I click on the device I do not see the “Info” sensor.

That screenshot appears to be of a device provided by the HA native Ring integration rather than ring-mqtt.

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I have home assistant running on a raspberry pi with home assistant OS. I installed ring-mqtt and I can see the devices show up just fine. However, when I try to see the livestream using the rtsp URL from the camera info attributes, it doesn’t load. The domain name for the livestream URL is not discoverable. I have tried changing the domain and port the one I use for the homeassistant UI and that doesn’t work either. Do I need to expose the port or something to make the rtsp work? Sorry if it’s a dumb question and thanks for making this wonderful addon!

I want to create an automation which turns on the motion detection of my stick-up cam, which I do through adding a service. But it gives me an ‘unknown error’ when I try to run it.

Is this a doable option within this integration?

Current code with which I’m testing is this:

alias: Test
description: ""
trigger: []
condition: []
action:
  - service: camera.enable_motion_detection
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: camera.woonkamer
mode: single

You need to use the switch entity related to the camera to toggle motion detection:

service: switch.turn_on
target:
  entity_id: switch.woonkamer_motion_detection

I am really new at HA and im stuggling here. I thought i followed all the instructions but clearly I have messed up somwhere.

Can someone guide me to what i am doing wrong?
Please and thank you!!! :slight_smile:

Here is the log from

This doesn’t give me an error, but it doesn’t turn on the motion detection either:

The top-right switch is still turned off, so no motion detection (and more importantly, no recorded videos when there’s motion).

Edit: this seems not to be an existing entity? At least, when I use the visual editor it won’t pop up as an option. But using the code you’ve given me in YAML, nothing happens either.

Check the entity_id is correct and that it is enabled.

I’ve searched basically everywhere in HA, but where do you find the Stream Source: rtsp:// URL?

It would be great if we can have a few screenshots where someone shows the steps to come to the URL.

@silvamoses
Just a guess… maybe your MQTT URL is pointing to the wrong address?
Is 172.30.32.1 where your HA instance is running?

It says for addon users you don’t need to change it, but it doesn’t hurt to try different values…

Did you read this section:

format is:
rtsp://<ip_or_hostname>/<camera_id>_live

Yes, I did, but I don’t have the Attributes option to find the attributes. I searched everywhere.

HA GUI > Settings > Devices & services > Devices > search “mqtt” > select the Ring mqtt > in the “Sensors” section select “Info” > click “Attributes”

It should look like below. (Note I run ring-mqtt in docker mode, so IP address 172.x.x.x is a docker address. I replaced it with the HA IP address.)

HA GUI > Settings > Devices & services > Devices > search “mqtt” > select the Ring mqtt

There is no “Info” section anywhere. Are you using the latest HA version? Perhaps there is something different in versions?

Info is in the “Sensors” section

Maybe you can post a screenshot of what your ring mqtt device looks like. Any logs will help too.

My HA:

• Core 2023.11.3
  • Frontend 20231030.2

I have an older version of ring-mqtt though… I think 5.5.0

BTW it looks like the <camera_id> in rtsp://<ip_or_hostname>/<camera_id>_live is just the MAC address of the Ring camera (at least that’s true for my Ring Video Doorbell 2). You can find the Ring camera’s MAC address in the phone’s Ring app, under Device Health.