Ring Device integration via MQTT w/ Video Streaming

Thank you for your detailed response!
VERY helpful.
I have a UPS running my HA and Modem+LAN, good for about 6 hours so can handle shortish outages, so looks like i’m good :slight_smile:

Appreciate you building AND building a docker!! HERO

Most ideal scenario would be direct z-wave communication with the keypad (but that is a whole another can of worms) without the hub, but given the low latency this is great!

I’m running into the exact same issue so you are not alone.
My MQTT server is definitely working because I can connect to my ESPHome devices. However, the ring bridge does not seem to connect to the MQTT server.

thanks john :slight_smile:
the strangest situation is that sometime (without touch anything) the add-on starts to work, but if i do a restart (only the add-on) it dont working anymore :frowning:. it only happened 2 times and doesn’t start to work anymore.

regards
Marcelo

OK thanks! I am currently running this using tmux and piping the output to a file. I will see in a couple hours or days when it fails again. I had it fail the other day after half a day.

@BrainSop and @john1

I’d really like to get to the bottom of your issues as it’s difficult for me to see how it could be a problem in the script as I’ve tested probably 3-4 MQTT brokers and different configurations and they all work. Are you both definitely running the latest published version as I did upgrade to the most recent MQTT API for Node.

If either of you are interested in doing a remote session so that I could see the problem first hand feel free to message me directly. Otherwise, you can also open an issue on the Github page and I can try to build a version with more debugging and we can try to work through it there.

@HA_fanatic

Feel free to open an issue on the Github page for us to work this problem. I’m looking forward to finding out what the issue might be.

interesting, so the keypad arrived and I managed to secure add node to the z-wave network
per this zwave info

The keypad doesn’t have the necessary z-wave info in the DB to recognize how to handle it though. Just thought i’d let y’all know
EDIT: some XML info here

@jaburges I guess I don’t understand what you are trying to do, you just added the keypad to a generic Z-wave network and not to the Ring Alarm base station Z-wave network? What are you trying to use the keypad for?

I was curious if I could use the keypad on its own (Z-wave directly to HA), without the Ring base station. Answer is yes (and no - pairs, but needs a Z-wave device handler, I’ve messaged OZW in case they are able to build one)

Not sure if others had the same thought, so sharing my findings.
I’m just spinning up your docker :smile:

@tsightler your docker is working great - although for some reason i’m unable to set the alarm due to sensors that need bypassing? i’ve removed all the sensors that come pre-paired as I don’t need them.

Did you happen to come across this?

EDIT: oh a little frustrating (but nothing to do with your code at all). You seemingly need the door sensor set up to enable the exit delay. Annoyingly my existing recessed Aeotec door sensor doesnt pair with the Ring alarm. Not the end of the world but worth noting. The ‘Works with Ring’ z-wave device list is shamefully small: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026250452-Works-With-Ring-Compatible-Devices

I do not know why but after leaving the add-on run for a couple hours is all began to work.

Hi,

thank you for this add-on. works really good except once small issue.

I’ve added my schlage lock to ring alarm.

-From ring app I can lock and unlock

-from Hassio console when I try to lock or unlock nothing happens

-if I lock or unlock using ring app, I can see the updated state in hassio

MQTT log shows below error when I try to lock/unlock using Hassio console and my add-on version is 0.52:

ring-alarm-mqtt Received set lock state LOCK for lock Id: xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx

ring-alarm-mqtt Location Id: xxxx-xxxxx-x

(node:40) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: location.setDeviceInfo is not a function

at setLockTargetState (/ring-alarm-mqtt/ring-alarm-mqtt.js:379:22)

at processCommand (/ring-alarm-mqtt/ring-alarm-mqtt.js:426:17)

at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)

(node:40) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). (rejection id: 13)

I removed my lock ID and Ring location ID from the message.

@kpejman Are you definitely running the latest version of the script? Just two days ago I committed a PR that should correct this issue. There was an API change a few months ago but since I don’t have a lock I never noticed. Fortunately another user coded up a fix for this and submitted a PR. If you update to the latest script it should work.

@john1 If you run in debug mode it should log when connections are made to MQTT and websocket connections for the location which would provide some insight into what exactly was happening.

thanks for your prompt reply.
from Hssio GUI, it shows version 0.52 and don’t show any updates. I added your git and repository and installed the add-on.

how can I check if I have the fix?

I don’t actually maintain a hassio addon so I’m assuming you mean you added the one here:

This should just pull the latest version of the script, but if you’ve installed it longer than 2 days ago you might need to use the rebuild option to pull in the latest script version.

Lock works now. what I noticed is it shows me also a slider switch in the lock that doesn’t do anything. not sure what that is for.

Another issue I noticed is my Ring app push notification won’t show if the app is closed. I’m not sure if it is related to the add-on or it’s because of iOS 13 beta that I’m using.

Thanks again for the amazing add-on
I enabled homekit on my Hassio and all the sensors and alarm and lock shows now in my home app :slight_smile:

Can you provide a screenshot of what you are referring to? The only slider switch I would expect would be to switch the lock between locked/unlocked. Are you getting some other switch as well? I don’t know where that would come from as the script just publishes a generic MQTT “lock” device.

I don’t think this script would have anything to do with push notifications are you phone, I and my family certainly still get push notifications on our devices.

If you were mostly just looking to use this with Homekit you might want to check out the ring-homebridge solution instead as it’s significantly more mature and feature complete than this script, but of course doesn’t provide the HA integration.

Capture

Please find the extra slider I see in my console.
I mainly wanted to use it in homekit but also I like to have my options open in case I want to combine it with other add-on :slight_smile:

I don’t believe this has anything to do with the script as that looks like the “header toggle” since it’s beside the header, not the lock entry itself. This should allow you to toggle all devices in that entity card with a single switch. For example, if you had 5 locks, toggling the switch should lock/unlock all locks in the “Lock” entity card (at least that’s how it works with lights, I don’t actually have any locks in my Home Assistant).

However, if you go to “Customize UI” and edit the entity card, you can just disable the “Show Header Toggle” option and it should go away. Please try that and let me know.