Ring doorbell integration direct RTSP live feed

I’ve been trying to integrate our ring doorbell into HA for a while now but for it to be truly functional without constant timeout errors I’d really like a direct RTSP feed along with sensor reporting (MQTT? Internal API ?)

I believe we should have access to a live video feed without having to use a workaround through a sluggish cloud service since we are after all the owners of the camera ?

I’ve spoken to support about this and they’ve said that while it’s currently not possible, they’re willing to look into this for future implementations.

Now I know many others also have doorbells from RING.com and are having a less then optimal experience trying to integrate it into their HA so I am trying to get some sort of group together to have this question sound as loud as possible.

Leave a comment if you’re interested and would like to join the cause :wink:

Hopefully they’ll be willing to listen.
Thank you.

7 Likes

Not to be negative here, but I find it highly unlikely they will ever do this since the majority of their income stream is built around their subscription service. The ability you describe would allow users to completely eliminate the need for the cloud and thus the money they make from it.

1 Like

Ring connections are Slllooowwwww!
Can figure out how people use these to answer door since it like 7 seconds to see live video.

Anyway, direct connection would be useful so you can get them to open this…you got my vote.

Always ask even if NO is likely answer…

2 Likes

Totally with you!
They need to integrate direct connection, especially when you’re at home! It takes way too long to open the stream at home. I hope they realise that compatibility with third party systems is a selling point. I’d also still be happy to pay a subscription to them for the cloud video storage and management of multiple Ring devices (although one or two free would be nice). Their app is easy to review past recordings, but the answering live calls situation sucks.

Just as fyi. I have entrance covered by two camera. Ring and generic IP camera

I put ring for doorbell and motion capability only.
I use ring motion and doorbell to trigger push notification
I include image from the generic cam in the notification. This way I instantly see what cause trigger without need to open app or really even unlock phone
I will likely get rid of ring when I find better solution for motion and doorbell and technically I like option to use intecom and Alexa announcements (“someone is at the door”), so this was my work around

EDIT
I now remove Ring and use beam detector covering area (person/car must pass this space)
This now trigger the notification w/image. I keep doorbell button but it is dummy button (encourage the hesitant person to move within beam space in case they hesitate for weird reason). I not need speak to person in this case. I know them and can call if not home, its UPS or person I do not know and not concern about reason for stop(this is rare and unlikely and usually thief and I got photo/video)
I also have Alexa integration so Alexa announce the detection.

2 Likes

As a Domoticz user visiting your forum, I totally agree. I have the Ring doorbell now hooked up to a seperate IP cam on the local network, so that I can receive a quick notification with a snapshot of who’s at the door via Telegram. Which is faster than the Ring cloud app. Why should access to live video or snapshots of the Ring cam over the local network be a problem? We still need the cloud app for remote access and a paid subscription for recordings…

Even better I have IP cams connected to motioneye nvr.
I now show motioneye in frontend using iframe card.
This loads all (8) my cams liveview in 3 seconds vs barely 1 in 10.

Any improvement on this front? Im about to installa the ring security system plus cameras at my new house thinking about being able to use the system trough HA and have live stream cameras… Not possible?

I realize that the last post on this topic was over two years ago but I am new to HA and could not find anything more recent.

I owned a web design business between 1996 - 2001 and am very comfortable with writing code like html, php, MySql, etc. I have been working with HA now for about a month and I am figuring out .yaml.

Is there any new information on intergrading Ring doorbells? I have no problem paying the $30 a year to them for the push notifications and other features. I would simply like to create a Lovelace card that will display my (live) door bell video.

Lovelace offers the webpage card and I can view the door bell in my browser so I guess what I am asking is how do I create an iFrame that will display my camera?

Having access to save the video local would be cool but I have no problem paying them for their service.

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Totally interested in this too

1 Like

Ring Device integration via MQTT w/ Video Streaming - Share your Projects! - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)