Ring stopped working quickly after I got it working

I restarted HA today and it broke. I assume ring updated something again on their end and we will have to wait for a fix

It sucks that this is your first experience with Home Assistant, but it’s not really the norm. Ring has been tightening their security up due to a lot of recent bad press (and really, they needed to). The Ring API is unofficial, so the Home Assistant integration has broken a couple of time recently due to their changes. The good news is that the Home Assistant developers have been in contact with the Ring people and it seems like, long term, they’ll be able to continue supporting us. There are open Github issues around the topic already (this most recent one is here) if you want to follow the the development at that level.

In my case, I’ve just resigned myself to turning off the Ring integration until the dust settles.

thanks gonzotek for the information.

So will I need to upgrade or will autoupated of hassio upgrate this when the fix comes out.

One down :slight_smile: and so much more to try and get to work in HA. Will take time to try and get over 30 devices into HA. Hoping they will work as most are in Wink and well my gut is telling me they are slowly fading (they were so popular years ago).

Thanks again, I thought I had done something wrong.

Once a fix is available the developers will usually publish an update for HA. This is just a simple Update button if you are running Hassio (or follow the normal upgrade procedure for your install).

Or, if you are adventurous enough, you could try any potential fixes that people post, but these are manually replacing and/or editing files.

They need to work with Ring and find a solution to use the 2FA with HA. A lot of people are moving to that to protect their stuff. Now I use randomized passwords on everything so 2FA is overkill but I feel better using it as that added layer of protection.

I disabled 2FA to get it going for now. I believe that is another topic… My ring is still not working awaiting an update I assume.

Yeah I knew it was another break in the process when I saw it go down the other day. They fixed it quick the last time but I would love to use the 2FA if I could.

See…
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/30076
The developers are in contact with the ring team to resolve the issue.

Starting to loose faith in ring devices, been up and down like a yoyo for the last 5 weeks since ring has rolled out the auth change. I know the HA developers have been working hard to remedy this. Will give it a few weeks however are there any alternative doorbell or cctv floodlights that work well with HA?

Just to note, this is not a RING issue, it is an authorisation issue with the Ring Component. Ring has quite specific guidelines and they have strengthened them recently.
The patches that have got it working recently have been just temporary patches until a permanent solution is found.
The Ring devices are fine, as you will see they all work fine in the Ring app. It is just an authentication issue on this side.
As @ColinRobbins said, the developers are working with Ring to make sure they are compliant with what Ring’s current requirements are. This is a fairly big undertaking and the fact Ring is openly talking to the developers of an Open Source product is encouraging to say the least. It means Ring are interested in supporting this project.

1 Like

FYI 0.104.0 has the auth fix for Ring devices now.

I checked that my system had been updated to 0.104.0 (automatically) I restarted everything and I am still getting the errors. ( I have x’d out id and pw info)

Is there something else we need to be doing.

ring:
username: xxxx
password: xxxx

camera:

• platform: ring

binary_sensor:

• platform: ring

2020-01-16 08:46:29 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component ring
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py”, line 176, in _async_setup_component
component.setup, hass, processed_config # type: ignore
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 57, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/ring/init.py”, line 55, in setup
ring = Ring(username=username, password=password, cache_file=cache)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ring_doorbell/init.py”, line 62, in init
self._process_cached_session()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ring_doorbell/init.py”, line 91, in _process_cached_session
req = self.query(url, raw=True)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ring_doorbell/init.py”, line 198, in query
‘Bearer {}’.format(self._get_oauth_token())
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ring_doorbell/init.py”, line 111, in _get_oauth_token
self.auth = oauth.refresh_tokens()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ring_doorbell/auth.py”, line 59, in refresh_tokens
token = self._oauth.refresh_token(OAuth.ENDPOINT)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests_oauthlib/oauth2_session.py”, line 446, in refresh_token
self.token = self._client.parse_request_body_response(r.text, scope=self.scope)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/oauthlib/oauth2/rfc6749/clients/base.py”, line 421, in parse_request_body_response
self.token = parse_token_response(body, scope=scope)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/oauthlib/oauth2/rfc6749/parameters.py”, line 431, in parse_token_response
validate_token_parameters(params)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/oauthlib/oauth2/rfc6749/parameters.py”, line 441, in validate_token_parameters
raise MissingTokenError(description=“Missing access token parameter.”)
oauthlib.oauth2.rfc6749.errors.MissingTokenError: (missing_token) Missing access token parameter.
2020-01-16 08:46:29 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform ring.binary_sensor: Unable to set up component.
2020-01-16 08:46:29 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform ring.camera: Unable to set up component.

I removed all Ring components from my *.yaml files and restarted. After that, I added Ring to my Integrations and everything works.

If you are removing ring from the confuration.yaml file are you saying we no longer need to define ring? How do you get your authentication back into place or did you remove it restart then put it back in again?

From an other thread: Ring integration setup fails

Just confirming:

• Removed ring entry in configuration.yaml
  • Updated to 0.104.0
  • Removed Ring integration from Integrations page
  • Removed all ring entities from Entities list
  • Restarted HA
  • Added Ring integration on Integrations page (Two-factor authentication working without problems)
  • As noted above: ring_ in the entity names has been removed. Example: Was sensor.ring_hoveddor_battery , but now is sensor.hoveddor_battery .
1 Like

When I added Ring component to my Integrations, it asked me for user name and password.

Thanks guys it is back to working…

Confirming - working for me also - thanks devs.

A long shot but does anyone know how to reformat the ring last_activity sensor in HA dashboard, since the update I have a unfriendly format 2020-01-16T21:52:06+00:00 , need to format it into something meaningful either a date and time or number of minutes from current time.

would be really appreciated if you do. Thanks

So i got through this problem too.

Updated home-assistant to 104.1, checked if ring is working without 2FA enabled (Which it did).
Enabled 2FA (Still working)

I get updates for the sensors (last ding, last activity, battery status and so on…), but my binary_sensor doesn’t turn on/off, so my automation don’t work.
It basiaclly looks like this (Starting from me opening the gate and the door so i can get to my ring)

21:40 [Hue Motion front markise] cleared (no motion detected)
21:40 [Hue Motion front markise] detected motion
21:40 [Tor Last Ding] changed to 2020-01-17T20:39:15+00:00
21:40 [Tor Last Activity] changed to 2020-01-17T20:39:15+00:00
21:40 [people_gate] changed to closed
21:39 [Hue Motion front markise] cleared (no motion detected)
21:39 [OpenCloseTem Door] is closed
21:39 [people_gate] changed to open
21:39 [Hue Motion front markise] detected motion
21:39 [OpenCloseTem Door] is opened
21:39 [Turn peoplegate open/close] has been triggered

I cleaned up everything that had to do with ring and even rebooted it. All of it didn’t help.
Has anyone a suggestion for me?

Thanks in advance

Somehow it’s working now. If anyone else has the problem i described what i did here: Ring integration setup fails