Rinnai Tankless Water Heater & Control-R Module Integration

I have been slowly getting everything in the house connected to my HAOS system and started to look for integration options for my Rinnai RUR-199iP and found this thread. I was just about to try the github integration when the mobile app that I was using Control-R 2.0 was upgraded to “Rinnai Central”. Its worked well for the past month or so, but I just had an issue where I was getting “control failed” when I tried to use it. Called Rinnai and was told to delete the app, reinstall and it worked.

Does the integration work with Rinnai Central?

It doesn’t seem like it matters which Rinnai mobile app you are using since this integration uses the same login for those apps.

That said, this integration stopped working for me within the last month and I can no longer trigger water recirculation from Home Assistant. I tried deleting & reinstalling the integration and still no dice. Anybody else seeing this?

@NukeThemTillTheyGlow, would you be willing to give it a try and report back to see if it works for you?

Yes happy to help. I will review the latest integration and get it installed.

Just installed integration (1.4.1) and was successful with logging in, getting device and entities in HA. I added the device and entities to a dashboard. When I click on the device and get the temp range UI and clock on mode and then on… nothing happens. When I start a 5 min recirc via the app version 3.1.3 (160), it started up and the HA device and entries became active within about 15-20 seconds.

Not sure of what else I can do. I don’t have much experiance with automations other than some simple lighting on and off for sunrise/sunset. But looking to get into the automations now and start controlling things more, tying things together, automating various events.

Thanks for giving that a try. It looks like I was messing with my automation and I broke it on accident. I just figured out that to start the water heater, you have to call “rinnai.start_recirculation” service and give it the number of minutes.

If you’re new to Home Assistant automation, you can make a new automation, set your trigger, and then under the “Then do” section add a “Call service” action and call rinnai.start_recirculation.

I added a “Helper” Button and then added it to my dashboard to trigger this automation when I press that button.

By the way looks like sometimes my water heater will set the target temperature down to some low temperature (e.g. 100F) where my usual target temperature is 120F (presumably to try to save $). When that happens and if my water heater outlet temperature is greater than the system set target temperature of say 100F, calling rinnai.start_recirculation won’t fire up the tankless.

To get around that, after calling rinnai.start_recirculation, I had to run another action to set the water heater temperature to 120F. Seems like that might be a new thing my tankless does. I’ve never had to make a call to set the target temperature before before.

Hope that helps others as that’s been the thing keeping me from automating my tankless in the last month.

Thanks! I just set up a simple button on the dashboard for this and works great, confirmed that it started recirc pump for 5 min via dashboard status as well as Rinnai Central app.

Can the integration manage schedules, or at least turn schedules on and off?